Quote from How to Be Free

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
"Quitting your job, refusing to vote, not taking pharmeceutical drugs: these are acts not of apathy but of a radical re-engagement with society and with your own self. It is, in actual fact, lazy and apathetic to be employed, to vote and to take Prozac, because in doing these things we are handing control over our lives to others and implicitly accepting that we are more or less useless unless we contort our very selves to conform to a pre-planned model of how we should act."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Free-Tom-Hodgkinson/dp/0241143217/

Which works better in some locations than others

One also has to note that vagrancy and squatting are presented in the book as valid more valid lifestyles than having a mortgage and working 9-to-5.

It's not something to blindly follow, but it certainly gives a lot to think about, and the idea of keeping yourself unburdened certainly has a romantic charm.

Only if you are mindless. This is crap I hear all too often. Now I want this guy to go do this in the hot bed of Iraq or something. Go do it where a government isn't protecting your ass, where people don't necessarily feel a need to ensure that you still get fed. You always rely on others. You have to. You can't do barely one fucking thing without relying on the hard work of others.

What a sycophant.

These are just my opinions of course. But I think that people generally go about that search for freedom the wrong way.

Only if you are mindless. This is crap I hear all too often. Now I want this guy to go do this in the hot bed of Iraq or something. Go do it where a government isn't protecting your ass, where people don't necessarily feel a need to ensure that you still get fed. You always rely on others. You have to. You can't do barely one fucking thing without relying on the hard work of others.

What a sycophant.

These are just my opinions of course. But I think that people generally go about that search for freedom the wrong way.

But people can always do more to depend less on other people. How far you go to do so should be your choice, and not anyone else's. And that's the entire point.

But freedom certainly isn't found in being employed for someone else, and that's my opinion.

As for me, well, I hate living "on the dole" as it were (I don't believe such a thing should exist in the first place), and even if things aren't progressing so well in Finnish, I'm understanding a lot of Swedish these days outside of the classroom so things are developing. I'll be an overtaxed, working member of society again before I know it.