R.I.P. Coal Chamber, Long Live Devildriver!!!

Xalon Niles

Metal/Super Sentai Fan
Dec 22, 2001
Parts unknown.
hometown.aol.com
Devildriver: S/T - Roadrunner Records - 2003

This is my review for Dez's new band Devildriver. I like some of his old band Coal Chamber songs like Loco, Big Truck, Dark Days, Glow, Not Living, and their cover with a duet with Ozzy himself to Peter Gabriel's "Shock The Monkey" but Coal Chamber was missing the end that's in Dez's new band Devildriver: Team-work. Dez picked the best musicians who were unknown before being in Devildriver and they are way better musicians then the ones in Coal Chamber. The Devildriver Team has alot of Influnces in them like
guitarists Evan and Jeff's evil Iron Maiden duet guitar attack with an venomous Rhythm Assault from bassist John and drummer Johnny B. Dez does only agressive vocals that range from Death Growls, Black Metal screams, and some Hardcore singing but it's his own way of showing it. People who love guitar solos would not like Devildriver because of no solos but fans of pure in-your-face Metal would love ithis band and cd. Devildriver are similar to Dimension Zero because it's art of Metal that is their own without copying their Influnces.

Song List - 1 thru 10
1. Nothing's Wrong? = 10/10
2. I Could Care Less = 9/10
3. Die (And Die Now) = 9/10
4. I Dreamed I Died = 8.5/10
5. Cry For Me Sky (Eulogy Of The Scorned) = 8.5/10
6. Mountain, The = 10/10
7. Knee Deep = 10/10
8. What Does It Take (To Be A Man) = 9.5/10
9. Swinging The Dead = 10/10
10. Revelation Machine = 8/10
11. Meet The Wretched = 10/10
12. Devil's Son = 7.5/10

</B>
Musicianship: 10
Atmosphere: 10
Production: 9
Originality: 9
Overall: 9.5

My favorite songs are: Knee Deep, Swinging The Dead, Meet The Wretched, I could Care Less, Nothing's Wrong?,

Cool. Glad to hear Devildriver isn't CC pt. 2.

I do have a word of caveat for you. Be prepared from a lot of flame from self-professed know-it-alls and overzealous Opeth fans displeased about Opeth's recent touring partners.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Cool. Glad to hear Devildriver isn't CC pt. 2.

I do have a word of caveat for you. Be prepared from a lot of flame from self-professed know-it-alls and overzealous Opeth fans displeased about Opeth's recent touring partners.
Yeah, I know. It could of been worst if it was Limp Bizkit-like band had joined the tour.

Is this thread joke, it is funny.

Musicianship: 10
Atmosphere: 10
Production: 9
Originality: 9
Overall: 9.5

HAHA

Alot of Opeth fans are displeased about DevilDriver being in the tour, I haven't heard any of their music to be honest so I won't criticize. I think the only reason why people are having a big whinge about them is because they are mainstream...

Devildriver will be "less mainstream" than Coal Chamber. From what I have heard, the band is more extreme than CC. I think they will have a "cult" following. I think if had Dez wanted to get "success" he would have followed the "cookie cutter" formula that a lot of these newer bands have. Now I can't say I love 'em from what I have heard, but I can't say that their music is all that bad either. I guess I should pick up their disc & find out....

yeah the chorus in i could care less is pretty crappy and repetitive IMO. but as the title states "i could care less" so why should we care about them. and i wouldnt say 10 for musicmanship or whatever. this would imply they cannot get any better at all at writing music. a real 10 in my opinion is maybe Dream Theater or Tool cause they seem to put alot of thought into their music and it comes out beautifuly. i'd maybe give it 6. bands have been playing music like this for years and its nothing special or new. it just happens to be considered more "mainstream" and happens to not be my cup of tea. btw way im an opeth fan and i am slightly mad with devil driver on the bill because theyre not even close to the same type of metal. i very highly doubt any of the members of opeth like devil driver all that much. but i could be completely wrong.

they find out theres no longer the huge fan base for that gothic nu - metal crap so the go "extreme" and replace a worthwhile band kataklysm on opeths north american tour, thats B.S.

Man this band DD is nothing special I saw em live (opened for Opeth) and I laughed as my dude winged a water bottle right in the face of the idiot lead singer who I don't even know his name threatened to come out there and kick someones ass... Har! This bands music is Dropped D 2 chords over and over while the drummer rips off Slayer beats on every song. I thought I was at a Korn concert when a bunch of 15 year olds started jumping up and down in sequence(practicaly the whole crowd) how gay is that ....O well Fuck em..

AzureDraconis said:
.. devildriver is a piece of shit. any 2 year old can do this shit. ..

haha No shit, there guitarist sounds like a 12 year old that got lessons like 2 weeks before. They are about as creative as a mongoloid. Actually I have heard from many people that there guitarist can barley hold it together live(backing my point up). All they are is a beefed up Coal Chamber. One of the worst bands ever.

I like them EVEN MORE now.

Oh, boy. A few more tr00 metal asshole posts and I'll be sleeping with them all.