Rack Help Please

Feb 1, 2009
hey i need a serious amount of help coz im going crazy here. we have almost finished building our bands studio and now where im really stumbling is organising the rack and how to patch everything together in the simplest way.

basically we need to get 16 xlrs into the computer and we need to send 4 jacks out through to the control room. we have already sorted the wall box n shit now (thanks for the help) but now we re stuck on this.

most rack interfaces seem to only have 8 xlr ins and im not sure if i can run 2 together in the same way as midi daisy chaining or individually. also pre amps, compressors and things like that. do i need one for every channel!?!?

please help thanks

Really depends on *what* interfaces you are talking about, and usually they have to be 2 of the same. For example, I use 2 Firepods, which are daisy chained together. What specifically are you looking to use?

If your interface has ADAT in then you can hook another unit up, if it's got ADAT output of course, that way and that gives you 16 channels :) You can even get something that has 2 ADAT ins, like the Saffire Pro 26i/o for example, and have 24 channels going to the computer. ADAT = 8 channels of audio.

~006

yer id like to daisy chain to together which are the same but i need help on deciding which interfaces will be best for this. and also what about pre's and stuff, is one needed for every chanell
cheers