rack mount preamps

Yeah I am stuck for now playing through a Solid State cheesy Crate Head.
When I get cash I am definalty going rack .... check into Rocktron they make some good sounding shit.

How much money do you think you'll be spending?

Lots of good preamps out there, from a few hundred for a used ADA MP1 to several thousand for a Bogner Fish...

Egnater
Custom Audio Electronics
Soldano
Mesa

Lots of good preamps out there. It all depends on how much you can afford.

I don't like any of the digitech stuff personally....

I like the Rocktron USA stuff...
Prophesy, Voodoo Valve, and their multi-fx preamp combos too.

Triaxis is a great preamp, but only if you like fiddling with your gear.

It can get some GREAT tones, BUT...

You won't have fun if you're looking for a simple turn the knob preamp.

They're kinda difficult to dial in though.

If you get one, get some feedback from owners along with some settings to try out.

Originally posted by xenophobe
Triaxis is a great preamp, but only if you like fiddling with your gear.

It can get some GREAT tones, BUT...

You won't have fun if you're looking for a simple turn the knob preamp.

They're kinda difficult to dial in though.

If you get one, get some feedback from owners along with some settings to try out.

Very true. You have to play with it for a while before you get anything good that's amazing. Also reading the manual is a piece of advice on the road to tone heaven that cannot be stressed enough.

Also, if you go to try one out, get some presets of people who have one. Dialing it in like a marshall is NOT going to work.

Bloody good bit of kit though, but only if you can cope with something that doesn't have knobs on it as xenophobe has mentioned :)

From Triaxis you can get many sound but you must deal a lot to get some good sound....only Mesa sound...

If you like classic metal sound try MARSHALL JMP-1...you can't get a lot of sound but the 2-4 sound you get are really good...

Actually, I think the Tri-Axis is probably one of the most versatile sounding units Mesa has ever made. Very awesome peice of gear, just too frustrating for me.

I'd avoid the JMP-1, but I know a few people who loved theirs.

The Soldano SP77's are going for pretty cheap, and so are Kasha Rockmods. I've never played either, but at the prices they're selling for, I may end up buying one for the hell of it.

I tried the JMP-1 with my ESP KH-3 with a Peavey Classic 30 and the sound amazed me...it's really marshall, and it sound Full and Hot...wow....

I tried the POD PRO and it's digital CRAP....it cost the twice and more of a Beringher that it rock and don't cost too much :p