Rage - Strings to a Web

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
A bit surprised not to find a thread for the new Rage album here so I might as well start one. This album is my favourite of 2010 so far. I liked Carved in Stone the previous album a lot as well though I know some didn't but the new album is just killer. Viktor is coming up with some amazing riffs and solos on this release. I bought the special edition cd/dvd package which comes in a thick digibook and includes a fairly long dvd from Wacken. Hansi from BG sings some songs with Peavy on it which is quite cool. But anyway this CD is just killer in every single way for me. The song writing is top notch from Peavy and co here and it seems they worked really hard to make the songs as catchy as possible. Also love the production on the album which is very full and quite warm sounding. I love everything about this release more or less. The only albums that I can envisage surpassing this at the moment are the forthcoming Sabaton and Wuthering Heights albums.

My top 3 albums from 2010 so far are
3. Astral Doors - Requiem of Time
2. Dream Evil - In The Night
1. Rage - Strings to a Web.

Anyway to make one post with a bunch of recommendations? I'm all for promoting bands but Id prefer to see these all in 1 thread.

Just my 2 cents.

I knew I'd get on some one's tits sooner or later! :)

No seriously though, doesn't each band or album deserve a thread of it's own? If you separate them out then each band gets a shot at glory if you catch my drift. If they suck or there's no takers, then they will soon fall off the page and so on.

I meant to start a thread about Strings To A Web ... I think it is excellent. It's the perfect mix of all things Rage for me. It's very catchy overall, and contains a five part - 17 minute suite called Empty Hollow, which is just great. Empty Hollow contains some Lingua Mortis Orchestra, but by and large the disc is Lingua Mortis free .. which I actually prefer. Excellent disc all the way thru for me ... best power metal disc of the year for me.

As a non-musician I have about the best compliment possible for Victor Smolski ... he actually inspires me to at least consider taking up the guitar. I think he's phenomenal. I dig Peavy's voice as well, he's solid .. quite like his vox. The drumming is fantastic as well. It's amazing this is a 3-piece !!

Here's the Empty Hollow pt. 1 audio from Youtube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba12b-cDQRE&feature=related[/ame]

Britt

I'm a slacker. Two of my favorite bands (Overkill and Rage) put out new albums this year and I just got around to getting the Overkill a couple weeks ago and I still need to get the Rage. Looking forward to it.

The first 2/3 of the album is great, especially the Empty Hollow suite...for some reason, the last few tracks don't hold up as well, but overall I like this much better than Carved In Stone. Speak Of The Dead still trumps all Rage material for me though.

The first 2/3 of the album is great, especially the Empty Hollow suite...for some reason, the last few tracks don't hold up as well, but overall I like this much better than Carved In Stone. Speak Of The Dead still trumps all Rage material for me though.

I thought it was just myself. I agree...the last few songs kind of just dont hold up but the first part is great.

I had this same issue with Speak of The Dead. The suite is phenomanal, but rest of the album is sub-par Rage. Still haven't heard the new one though.

I'll have to go back and explore this band! :kickass:

The good news is that Rage is awesome.

The bad news is that you have 18 albums to explore. :erk:

And more original songs than any other metal (or even rock) band in history. Or at least, the last time I posed this challenge, no one could come up with a band with more songs. And that was at least 3 albums and 39 songs ago!

EDIT: for anyone up for the challenge, Rage is currently at 268 original (non-cover) songs that they've recorded and released, according to http://ragedb.kicks-ass.net/discography.php?section=song_rg

Neil

The good news is that Rage is awesome.

The bad news is that you have 18 albums to explore. :erk:

And more original songs than any other metal (or even rock) band in history. Or at least, the last time I posed this challenge, no one could come up with a band with more songs. And that was at least 3 albums and 39 songs ago!

EDIT: for anyone up for the challenge, Rage is currently at 268 original (non-cover) songs that they've recorded and released, according to http://ragedb.kicks-ass.net/discography.php?section=song_rg

Neil
I don't know of a Metal band with that many tunes, but since you included "rock" I'll have to say Frank Zappa buries this total. :D

I don't know of a Metal band with that many tunes, but since you included "rock" I'll have to say Frank Zappa buries this total. :D

Yeah, maybe in the first running of this challenge, I started with a "metal" limitation, but even when people expanded the range to proto-metal (like AC/DC), we didn't end up with a new champ. But yeah, expanding it to explicitly include all of "rock" might have been a bit foolhardy. :)

Neil