Rap

Jan 10, 2005
So, some dude just e-mailed me asking about booking time to record an album, which is great. But it is rap.

*sigh*

He said he found me on MySpace and found out that I was the same guy that recorded a bunch of his other rap buddies at the studio I use to work at. He said he has ProT00lz but doesn't know how to use it... so should I book him and deal with it or just show him how to use his own shit? What would you guys do?

We did get a few bookings for rap and hip-hop at that studio because the owner was one of those dudes that was kind-of a wannabe homie in a way...so I've got some ill tracks under my belt :lol: but I never really had fun doing it, although I always got high as a mofo for free...and got paid for my time obviously...so I dunno...

~006

So, some dude just e-mailed me asking about booking time to record an album, which is great. But it is rap.

*sigh*

He said he found me on MySpace and found out that I was the same guy that recorded a bunch of his other rap buddies at the studio I use to work at. He said he has ProT00lz but doesn't know how to use it... so should I book him and deal with it or just show him how to use his own shit? What would you guys do?

We did get a few bookings for rap and hip-hop at that studio because the owner was one of those dudes that was kind-of a wannabe homie in a way...so I've got some ill tracks under my belt :lol: but I never really had fun doing it, although I always got high as a mofo for free...and got paid for my time obviously...so I dunno...

~006

ask for rough demos. if the songs are killer, take it

better get yourself a cool street-credible alias to produce under, dude :lol:

idk, can money and weed make up for fun for you? I mean, for a lot of people, that is the definition of fun (but not me, so I can empathize with you).

Quite the dilemma...

Dude, if that nigga got them jump offs, you best hook up on them shits like mofucka, ya herd. last time i blazed up on somma dem hiphoppins was when we did that fat ass tribute album joint fo my nigga rayray. RIP RAYRAY U DA BADDEST MOTHERFUCKA EVA!

gangstafx7.jpg

Of course you should do it.

You work in the music business, and if this guy wants to pay you for your time and your schedule is otherwise empty, you should do it, regardless of genre.

recording rap is easy money man go for it.

I agree. Unless the guy sucks completely. But then it's just like recording a shitty metal band.

Most rappers have problems with mic technique though, because they fuck around with their hands too much and try to be like "Fitty in da studio on MTV" - angleing the mic 30°-45° and hanging it from above can help immensely with that.

I'd say it depends how busy you are, if your busy enough and get enough projects you enjoy doing then turn it down. If you aren't that busy and having the project will get you some much needed cash then go with it treating it as a once off.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the reason he can't use pro tools is because he downloaded it and has no hardware to support it!

dude, do it.
the first artists i recorded at the studios i'm at now was a rap/grime artist, and was thinking ''ahhh this is gonna be long and boring''

we ended up having a laugh and the session went well, it did help that his backing tracks were pretty sweet and he was nailing out everything pretty much first attempt.

its good to record various types of music, i find i learn more from recording music i'd never listen to

Right now I have a black metal band that is pretty f'in badass booked for the next two-three weeks for a label release. After that a grind band has me for one week...so... it's not like I'm desperate for people to book. It is something different to do though...

~006

Right now I have a black metal band that is pretty f'in badass booked for the next two-three weeks for a label release. After that a grind band has me for one week...so... it's not like I'm desperate for people to book. It is something different to do though...

~006

I never recorded a rap group, but i imagine you just fire up fruity loops, let the beats commence, open the mic and let the dude(s) record their rap track on top of it.
Then make it sound better and done.

No blastbeat editing.. no growls you can hardly hear, just a few plugins and some recorded vocals... right?

I would do it.