Rate Maidens Album openers in order of goodest to not as gooderest

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Listned to Piece of Mind today for the first time in ages. Where Eagles Dre sounded so freakin good. Some awesome riffs in taht song. I thought to myself, this must be Maidens best album opener, but then I had a look at the others, and there are some damn fine ones in there as well. So I am going to attempt to put em in order of my fave, to least favorite. Which songs set the album off to a great start and get you in the mood? Which songs do you rate amongst Maidens best? Which songs just kick ass?

The contenders:

Prowler - Iron Maiden
Ides of March - Killers
Invaders - NOTB
Where Eagles Dare - Piece of Mind
Aces High - Powerslave
Caught Somewhere in Time - SIT
Moonchild - 7th Son
Be Quick or Be Dead - Fear of the Dark
Tailgunner - NPFTD
Sign of the Cross - X Factor
Futureal - Virtual 11
The Wicker Man - Brave New World
Wildest Dreams - DoD

My List in order of fave to not so fave:

Where Eagles Dare
Sign of the Cross
Caught Somewhere in Time
Invaders
The Wicker Man
Aces High
Moonchild
Prowler
Be Quick or Be Dead
Futureal
Ides of March
Tailgunner
Wildest Dreams

Tough call between the top 3. I love all of those songs. The top 7 are great. Bottom 6 aren't my favorite songs.

Hmmm... interesting thread. I can't say I disagree really, except that I think "Caught Somewhere in Time" should be at the top, followed by "Invaders". I love the way that "Invaders" just sort of explodes "BAM" and then into one of the greatest albums of all.

Where Eagles Dare
Invaders
The Wicker Man
Caught Somewhere in Time
Aces High
Prowler
Moonchild
Futureal
Tailgunner
Wildest Dreams
Ides of March
Sign of the Cross
Be Quick or Be Dead

That's pretty hard. It's not really a completely correct order but generally the ones near the top are better than the ones at the bottom, and Where Eagles Dare is the best and Be Quick Or Be Dead is one of my worst Maiden songs ever.

I put Sign Of The Cross second last because I don't even remember how it goes so I couldn't rate it. But it can't be worse than Be Quick Or Be Dead so I knew it had to go higher than that haha.

And yeah I'm not into big long songs. My favourite Maiden songs are stuff like Flight Of Icarus, Wasted Years and Can I Play With Madness. Big hooks.

Not only is this really hard, but it takes away from the ones I put near the bottom, which are great as well. I think Tailgunner is the only one I am not a real fan of, but some live versions I have heard of that song absolutely rip.

Aces High - awesome fast rocker, probably Maiden's best.
Caught Somewhere in Time - brilliant opening to an awesome album.
Ides of March - awesome intro that leads into the album brilliantly.
Invaders - as Gore said, kicks you into one of the classics. Underated song.
Sign of the Cross - excellent epic that paints the mood for the album.
The Wicker Man - great solid rocker.
Moonchild - great opener to a conceptual album.
Be Quick or Be Dead - great rocker that I am a fan of, underated song.
Where Eagles Dare - classic opener with that drum roll and all. Solid song.
Wildest Dreams - another good solid rocker.
Prowler - another solid rocker.
Futureal - great song and a great opener. A shame I had to put these last few at the bottom.
Tailgunner - the weakest of the openers, perhaps just for the production and stuff.

Nice thread, has put me in the mood for a bit of Maiden actually.

Are we rating these as openers, or songs by themselves? I'm going with the latter.

Prowler
Aces High
Where Eagles Dare
Ides of March
Wildest Dreams
Futureal
Moonchiyild
Invaders
Caught Somewhere in Time
Tailgunner
Sign of the Cross
The Wicker Man