Ratt

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
I've recently rediscovered these guys. I've had a few of their abums on vinyl for a while and always get them out occasionally for a listen but never that much... but the last few weeks I've been absolutely addicted to them, and I bought Detonator on Friday which is also just aweeeeeeeesome, doesn't quite have those crunching riffs the early albums do, but the grooves and solos..... phwoar!

Robbin and Warren are one of the best guitar duos ever in metal for sure I think! And I must say, Warren DeMartini is easily one of my favourite guitarists ever. I've never heard a metal guitarist play guitar solos that are so "sexy" before! I mean he is fast and flashy like most 80s guitarists with that great George Lynch-ish sense of melody, but he somehow has this really really sexy raunchy sound in his solos. Especially on songs like Way Cool Jr, Slip Of The Lip, Lovin' You Is A Dirty Job, Can't Wait On Love, etc...

How does he do it? I want to be able to play sexy solos!

Anyway I just thought I'd share that joy. I also bought Ratt & Roll 8191 on CD today because I have all my Ratt on vinyl and thought I should have something for the discman.

:headbang:

I was listening to lots of Ratt songs at a party on Saturday and trying to explain to people how the guitar solos are sexy and nobody knew how a solo could be sexy, then they heard some and thought "Ahhhhh that actually is quite sexy..." hahaha!

If they had a singer who didn't sound constipated (I'm liking his voice more now though).... they would've been THE best glam band ever in my opinion. All they needed was a better singer, or at least for Stephen Pearcy to loosen up a bit and give his voice more space and freedom if that makes sense. It's too strained.

Musically, Ratt are unmatched I think. UNMATCHED! Flashier and groovier than Dokken I think, and more sexy and groovy and not as pretentious as VVI.... just plain brilliance! And they have a heavy dose of LA attitude too, not as much as Crue, but still alot, which just tops it all off nicely.

I wouldn't say (mainly coz of Pearcy) they were the best glam band, but I would say easily they were the most consistent. Everything they released up to their best of, is exactly equally impressive imo, but each one offered a different strength... like the rawness and attitude of Out Of The Cellar; the heavy guitar sound and AMAZING riffing on Invasion; the breathing space, energy and sleaze attitude on Dancing Undercover; the bluesy raunchy grooves on Reach For The Sky, and the sexy and melodic guitar work and great harmonies on Detonator.... :worship:

What an underrated band! :headbang:

IT IS THOUGH! Hahahaha...

Listen to Way Cool Jr when you get your CD and you'll see what I mean! And the outro solos in Slip Of The Lip! Or even um... Lovin' You's A Dirty Job and Can't Wait On Love on Detonator. Very raunchy playing I think!