Ravenblack EP - Song preview - 5150 II, Randall RM100M, TMF

SkyMan666

How do record? \O_o/
Feb 7, 2008
Hey guys.

I'm working on a new mix this week. It is for Ravenblack, a black metal project from Slovenia.

How's that one sounding so far?
The Last Sleep preview

Gear used: Peavey 5150II + 5150 4x12 cab :kickass:
Randall RM100M + Randal RA412XLT cabinet :kickass::kickass:

Guitars used: Caparison Angelus-HGS GM (at least I think it was that model, according to gtr head :) ) with stock Caparsion pickups
Jackson Flyin-V (I think it was Mustaine's model) with Seymour Duncan BlackOut Metal pickups
ESP LTD (Lp model) with EMG 81-85

I've try several mic positions (SM 57). In the end, I've stuck with Fredman for 5150 and straight on-axis for Randall. I think I've did a good job. :)
I've used TLA 5052 Ivory II for pre-amp. On artist's request we've did only double-tracking. I've later duplicate the tracks and put CurveEQ on 'em with Clayman and Andy's impulse.

Vocals were done with AKG C2000B via TLA with a lot post-proccessing.
Keep in mind, that the mix itself is not finnished yet.

If anyone have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Sounds pretty filthy man, in a good way. A nice dirty atmosphere for black metal
the vocals however, sound really painful to listen to, like they're really harsh and not that full.

Also could you post the 5150 mkII stuff soloed + settings if its not too much trouble for you n stuff of course? Wouldn't mind hearing what the mkII sounds like all fredman'd out before i get a re-amp box

fix that vocal harshness and you're there i think man

Hey.

I'll try to get you the stuff ASAP. What settings do you need? Amp settings? Post-proccessing?

About the vocals. I know that, but that was the artists request. He likes to have vocals more "harshy" and more in background. I've try to explain that to him, but hey... It's his money and his decision, right. In the first mix, the vox were much more unrecognizible and muddy, but then we've reached an agreement, so the vox will stay the way they are (IMO not the best, but what can I do about that? :) )

Remind me via PM, if I forget.

Thanx for listening.

BR, Samo

the 5150 tracks soloed and raw would be cool
plus settings :)
not that im gonna take your settings or whatever, im just curious as to how it sounded raw, dont see many 5150 mkII clips around here

Hey. There you go.

5150 II traxx n settings

Chain in Cubase:

5150 Track 1 --> Pan L --> Voxengo CurveEQ with modified Andy's preset, "integrated" Cubase's EQ with HP@120Hz and LP@5 kHz

5150 Track 2 (Duplicate) ---> Pan L82 --> Voxengo CurveEQ with modified Clayman's preset---> Cubase EQ is the same as above
---------------------

From here on, I've created group channel and route those two and Randall's tracks on it.

Group channel inserts chain:

Ins.1 --> D82 Sonic Maximizer
Ins.2 Waves Q10 ParaEQ

Master chain: GClip --> UAD Precision EQ --> UAD Fairchild --> UAD Precision Limiter (or sometimes Waves L3 Multimaximizer LL, it depends, how many UAD plugs have been used before ;) )

That's it.

HTH, Samo

That's it