realistic sequenced drums - how?

Andy Sneap said:
yeah you cant randomly trigger in battery, its all to do with the velocity. thats why drumagog is killer, it will do this. You should check it out, it'll take a midi input also
I think The Grim Clown is more into programming, not triggering...
:OMG: Ooops sorry, I didn't read what you say in the end....

Just a note why can't program drums like they are on Necrophagist's album Epitaph - they used a real drummer :p He played the stuff what the main man behind the band originally programmed - the drums on the actual album are done by a real drummer.

Here's what the credits say:

Epitaph: "Hannes Grossmann - Drums"
Onset Putrefaction: "Drumsamples re-recorded at "The Iguana-Studios" in January 2004 by Christoph Brandes and Hannes Grossmann."
Demo 1995: "Raphael Kempermann - Drums"
Demo 1992: "Raphael Kempermann - Drums"

Impy said:
Nope, the drums on Epitaph are programmed. That's what Muhammed or whatever his name is said in an interview at least.

the drums on Epitaph are real, as someone else said, hes called Hannes Grossmann. the drums on the album before Epitaph are programmed.

Nope dude, Muhammed didn't have a band when he tracked Onset to Putrefaction, and programmed those drums. On Epitaph, however, he had a full band and Hannes Grossman played drums. You can ask Hannes himself on the Derek Roddy or Half Man Half Machine forums, or their engineer on the Necrophagist forum. Believe it or not too, nothing was triggered on Epitaph. Stuff was more than likely replaced with samples, but nothing was triggered. Sounds great, in my opinion.

what I heard was that Epitaph had been re-released and the 2nd release had a real drummer but the CD I got here sounds pretty much like a drum machine (but it also sounds like a drummer at the same time)! I can't argue against the people in here because I am not sure....but if it was a real drummer...WOW :yell: ! he is one hell of a drummer! I also read Muahmmed spent 4 days programming all drums for Epitaph in an interview, which also makes it more convincing there had been some programming somehow...

Thanks again for your input... it was pretty much appreciated! I am going to experiment with Battery and read about automation, as I'm not very clueful about these functionalities. Pitty I bought battery last month if I knew drumagog was better than Battery earlier I'd have taken a look into it before...I will download a trial (if there exists one)

Thanks again

The Grim Clown said:
what I heard was that Epitaph had been re-released and the 2nd release had a real drummer but the CD I got here sounds pretty much like a drum machine (but it also sounds like a drummer at the same time)! I can't argue against the people in here because I am not sure....but if it was a real drummer...WOW :yell: ! he is one hell of a drummer! I also read Muahmmed spent 4 days programming all drums for Epitaph in an interview, which also makes it more convincing there had been some programming somehow...

Thanks again for your input... it was pretty much appreciated! I am going to experiment with Battery and read about automation, as I'm not very clueful about these functionalities. Pitty I bought battery last month if I knew drumagog was better than Battery earlier I'd have taken a look into it before...I will download a trial (if there exists one)

Thanks again

i think you're getting those two albums mixed up, Epitaph has always had a real drummer, Onset to Putrefaction has been re-released with the drums redone.

maybe because Onset to Putrefaction was re released after Epitaph came out (i think) you're confusing it as the "new album"?

i duno :Spin:

Soulfracture said:
i think you're getting those two albums mixed up, Epitaph has always had a real drummer, Onset to Putrefaction has been re-released with the drums redone.

maybe because Onset to Putrefaction was re released after Epitaph came out (i think) you're confusing it as the "new album"?

i duno :Spin:

Yeah, I think that's what's going on, cuz I KNOW Muhammed has never said that he programmed the drums for Epitaph. He wrote them and gave Hannes the music to learn, but didn't program them. Onset is programmed, and I guess it was rerecorded by Hannes(I only have the original version, now I'll have to pick up this new one). As far as sounding like a drum machine, all I can say is that Hannes is inhumanly good, and most definitely can play that stuff, that tight, live. What an awesome band.

I think that there might be an online review of the album or something where they thought Epitaph had programmed drums or something like that, cause i'm sure i read that they were on Epitaph, i'm not confusing the albums...