Really Fun Interview with Anders of In Flames done 2 days ago. Mentions US Tour!

Officer Nice

Masshole
Oct 7, 2002
First off, a big thank you to Twilight X for organising this interview!
I don't think this band needs much of an intro? Yesterday we got the chance to speak to Anders from In Flames. Covering a whole range of stuff, from the new album through to touring and on to other things... Read and enjoy!

Anders F: Hi, This is Anders from In Flames

Sammy S: Hello Anders, I can’t believe that we’re actually speaking to you, this is unbelievable

Anders: [laughing] I can’t believe I’m speaking to you either!

Sammy: [laughing] No, ja, well, Thank you!
Ok, there’s 2 of us that are going to be interviewing you, we both play for SacriFist. I play guitar and we’ve got Jacques on vocals…
You are busy recording your 10th album, is that correct?

Anders: Uuuh, no, I think this is our 7th full length album, yeah we’ve done some EP’s and stuff like that

SS: And what can we expect from this album?

AF: It Rules!

SS: Hahahaha, any In Flames stuff rules in my opinion

AF: Ah, it’s a great album, it’s the only album you need to listen to for 2004… Aaah, I’m just joking, haha, I’m just joking – It’s a really great album and I’m really proud of it and it’s got 12 great songs on there and, you know, it’s really good In Flames songs and it represents In Flames in 2004-02-19

SS: After the recording, are there any touring plans scheduled? And Where?

AF: Uh, we’re starting at home in Gothenburg, 16th of April, then the european tour which is short but we’ll do another longer on at the end of this year. In May we’re going to the states and then come back in June do europe and do festivals and, you know, we’ll just continue touring for the rest of the year from April and on. It’s pretty busy. ( Edit: Tour dates indicate more like
July. In Flames is doing European Dates in June)
SS: Yeah, I can imagine [laughs]

SS: What is your favourite In Flames Album?

AF: The latest one, it’s gotta be, you know. I like all of our albums, all of them are very important but I’ve heard the other ones more than I’ve heard this one so I guess it’s a bit more fresh, you know…

SS: So you’d say the latest one is the best so far?

AF: The latest… uuh, I mean, for now

SS: So for the moment

AF: Exactly

SS: What is your favourite In Flames song or the most energetic for you?

AF: Oh…. I dunno

SS: [laughing] You should say all of them

AF: Yeah, I want to answer that question, but it’s kinda boring to say all of them but it’s hard to take just one song

SS: I know that feeling very well... Now, After going to your website we found out that In Flames is going to tour with Metallica. Are you changing your style of music to cater for a more commercial market or for more exposure?

AF: We’re not changing our music for anything and we just right the best fucking songs we can and we played one show with Metallica and that’s just a cool feeling, you know. That’s a band I’ve listened to enough since I was a kid but that doesn’t change my way of writing music and we’re not changing, I mean, we’re still an extreme band if you listen to the new album. You’ll shit in your pants at how extreme it is at some times, you know. I dunno, we’re far from mainstream. I mean we’re still a band that screams and playes double bass and stuff like that

SS: Hell yeah!
On Lunar Strain , the song, Everlost pt. II, who is the female that did vocals on there?

AF: I have no… I don’t remember. I don’t remember who it is and I’ll have to see in the booklet… It says in the booklet somewhere cos I wasn’t in the band at that point, I joined the band after Subterranean.

SS: More of a personal question. How old are you?

AF: 30

SS: Is everyone in the band married or single?

AF: Um, most of us have relationships, yes and some of the guys are dads, Peter Daniel and Bjorn all got small girls

SS: Likewise

AF: And me and Jesper, we don’t have any kids yet but, yeah

SS: [laughing] You shoud stay that way

AF: Yeah, no kids are great

SS: I know, I’ve got one of my own.
Now, have you ever heard any South African Metal bands? And if so, what were your thoughts?

AF: You know what, I heard something, sometime ago but I can’t remember so I can’t mention any, you know

SS: Are you willing to play in South Africa?

AF: Yeah, sure! If we get a good offer, you know. We don’t have anything against [laughs] South Africa or any country. We’ll go to any country if we get a good offer and the atmosphere is nice, you know?

SS: Yeah, you should come and try it out

AF: [laughs] Yeah! I’ve heard good things from my friends in The Haunted who were in South Africa

SS: Next, does In Flames have any day jobs or is the band a full time resposibility?

AF: In Flames takes too much time to have a different job, I mean, we’re constantly touring. It’s our hobby or our job or whatever you want to call it but we can live from the music. Definitely a full time responsibility

SS: Ok, What microphone do you use?

AF: A Shure microphone, I have a wireless, it’s probably a
icon_smile_question.gif

SS: Apart from having the best vocals in the world [all three laugh], what is Anders Fridén’s Biggest love?

AF: DVD’s, I watch a lot of movies. I buy a lot of DVD’s when I’m out touring.

SS: So that would be your favourite thing?

AF: I mean, to play music and be in a band, In Flames, is the greatest thing and to be able to write great songs that people appreciate, that’s also something good and I listen to a lot of music but to escape, you know, to disappear I need to do something else. When I’m home I watch DVD’s or go to the cinema or whatever

SS: Ok, what inspires you when you write lyrics?

AF: Um, my personal life and things that I go through, you know, thoughts on the outside world and whatever happens in my surroundings

SS: Your music is extremely melodic and very well arranged, how do you go about putting a song together?

AF: How we put a song together? I write all the lyrics but it’s not one guy who writes the song. For the most part it’s Bjorn and Jesper who writes the riffs, you know, either they come with parts, and we jam something or they write a bigger part of the song but then, you know, we all arrange the songs together and I kinda describe how I want the mood and then I write the lyrics on top

SS: Ok…
Jacques K: Uh… Can I ask a few questions? [laughs]

SS: Um, yeah, I’m gonna let Jacques ask a few questions, he’s ready to kill me here if I don’t let him speak to you [laughs] so here he is….

JK: Hello Anders

AF: Hi

JK: I must say, it’s an extreme honour to talk to you…
If you were to play in South Africa, what would you expect to see when you come here?

AF: What would I expect to see? Plenty people there hopefully that are happy that are happy we are there [laughs] I don’t know… I don’t know that much about your country and how it looks. I heard from friends in The Haunted who were there and they were on this Safari and that was supposed to be really nice, they say.

JK: And apart from in flames, are there any other project bands that you and the rest of the guys are involved with?

AF: Well, I have another band called Passenger that’s released an album and we are about to record another one and Jesper, our guitar player, he’s in another band called Dimension Zero who’ve released two full lengths and a mini-ep

JK: Can you please tell us, what did it take to get signed?

AF: Good songs!

SS: And good attitude?

AF: Well, yeah, hopefully you get signed because they see you have great potential and great songs. [great attitude] Hopefully [laughs]

SS: What kind of music do you listen to when you’re alone?

AF: Uh, something calm, some challenging music maybe, like Portishead

SS: Now, have you ever visited the South African site, Twilight X? If not WHY NOT? [laughs]

AF: No, never, but I will, definitely. Because you tell me to [laughs]. I didn’t know about it

SS: Uuuh, where are we… Do you have any idea that In Flames is held in such high regard here in South Africa? To the extent that two of your songs, Only for the Weak and Episode 666 are actually covered by two local Metal bands, SacriFist and Tyburn

AF: Yeah? Oh, that’s cool! I didn’t know… [laughs] Really cool

SS: Out of all the countries you have visited, which would you say was your favourite country so far that you’ve seen?

AF: I really like Mexico, that was cool. It’s very different from where I come from. We went to see some old cultural suff, you know, the Pyramids that the indians built, some temples and stuff like that. Then, I’m a big fan of Sushi [Jacques: Oooo
icon_smile_puke.gif
] so Japan was really nice [laughs]

SS: What was one of the weirdest things you have witnessed while on tour?

AF: [thinks] I don’t really remember. Theres a lot of stupid stuff and strange things happen when you’re on the road but it’s like it’s so crazy it’s not worth mentioning and maybe for other people it’s not as fun as it is for us. When you’re on tour you’ve gotta make up stupid things.

SS: Yeah, to keep yourself busy?

AF: Yes!

JK: Anders, when you guys plan a tour, who decides where you’re going to play? Is it the band member or is it purely managements decision?

AF: Ah, well, we get offers first off. When we release an album, for instance and we’re getting ready to tour, we have a booking company that asks the promoters in different countries who wants us to come. Then the promoter in that actual country must come up with an offer, then the booking company tells our management what kind of offers we’ve got and then management tells us where we should be, when we should be. We can always say yes and no, you know, but first off it comes from the promoter in the actual country

SS: Ok [laughs] we were sitting last night until God knows what time of the night trying to think of questions to ask you, and the most original and the most original one we could come up with was this: After this interview, can we regard you as a close personal friend? [laughs]

AF: Ha, if you like [laughs]

JK: Anders, out of all the covers that the band has ever done, which is your favourite?

AF: Uuuh, Land of Confusion!

SS: Last question: What does the future hold for In Flames? Short term and long term.

AF: Touring, touring, constantly touring, see nothing else but new cities inside of a tour bus with a bottle of whiskey [laughs]

SS: Hell yeah!

JK: Ha, how many more years can you expect to do that?

AF: Til I’ve got grey hairs, I don’t know. Til it’s not fun anymore… When we can’t write music that we believe in, then we’ll stop

SS: Good. Good, good, good!
Ok, thank you, that was it!

AF: Thank you and hopefully we can come to your country

JK: And thank you very much!

SS: Ja, we can’t wait to see you guys, it’s fucken torture!

JK: Big time torture! [laughs]

AF: You’ll have to travel somewhere else then, if we can come to your country then you should come to us

SS: Ok, we’ll make you a deal, you come to South Africa first and we spoil you rotten and then we’ll come to Sweden

AF: [laughs] Alright!

SS: Anders, thanks again for your time and best of luck for the new album

AF: And thank you and good luck with the band and everything.

JK: Thank you, we appreciate that!

AF: Take care!

SS: Likewise

AF: Bye bye

JK: Bye bye