Really need help with low end (need somebody with a sub)

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
So.. I've never had this problem before...

I've run into a mastering problem, I believe.

Basically it's this... I have a mix that sounds really good. It doesn't sound out of the ordinary on my system here. Sound nice and smooth and violent.

When I put it on in a car with a sub, it sounds like there are a bunch of spots in the low mids/lows that jump out uncontrolled.. I don't understand what it is... Bass? Kick? Bass and kick are fighting with eachother?

Here's the mix:

Any help would be awesome.. Like I said, this was a completely new problem I've encountered..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's the bass guitar reaching too much into the sub lows that is smearing the low end of your mix, I definitely hear what you are talking about though

haha. Sorry that was another take of a drum part that I forgot to delete out of the project..

This is what we ended up with:

Much betta

Last edited by a moderator:
You can tell that you are a guitarist, the guitars dominate over everything. The first thought with the original clip was that the guitars had too much low mids and both the bass and kick simply had way too much low end to them. I should also mention that the mix overall feels confusing, and I think it may have to do with limiting too hard and not having enough of the OH volume and the overall mix being a tad bit to dark which actually makes finding what is sour in the low end because it is really difficult hearing any individual instrument, its just too muddy.

I think you are dealing with too much limiting, low mids and subs in the lower pitched instruments.

I hear it. It's the bass guitar. Try toying with a multi-band comp on it. Use that bass lick at 1:07 as reference. Also, the guitars really are a touch too loud. All the other balances seem fine. I would just reign the guitars in by 1 or 2 db. Sounds killer though NS!