Really old PC.. What DAW/software to use?

Mea_Culpa89

Feb 1, 2009
Hello! For the next few months i will be obliged to work with my old PC, an old Pentium 4 with either 256 or 512 (not quite sure yet, totally forgot) MB of RAM.

What DAW/software should i choose? Would it be better to buy a used Sonar 4 on Ebay, or maybe a newer up-to-date version would run smoother?
I suppose that the newer the version, the more requirements it would have from my PC.

What is the maximum amount of channels this PC can handle? Can i make a full project by constantly freezing/printing channels?

I am thinking of using Windows XP sp3, any general advice would be precious, please no "Buy a 4Core PC" replies, as this is not possible, for the time being. :kickass::kickass:

Reaper. As if it's not been said enough already :)

I've run that on an older Athlon with 512M of RAM, and most recently on a 1.4 Celeron laptop with 1GB RAM. After 2-3 ampsims it bogs down, but if all you're doing is tracking and/or rendering tracks to stems, you can do a lot.

So, just to make sure, you suggest to use Reaper? :lol:

As i am not familiar with this specific DAW, so i will give it a test drive.

Thank you :hotjump:

Well if you can't afford a brand spanking new Core i7 980X, surely you could afford to drop like, 200 bucks on a used Core 2 Duo machine?
Will totally what you have now.