Sonar X1 studio crashes when tyring to process to track any TSE plug-in

rickfugue

May 26, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Hi all,

I am very sorry if this has been covered somewhere here before. I searched here and the web in general and saw several links of the two not playing nice but not in the same instance I am encountering.

To start, I love(d) Sonar. I learned how to use it in my music tech class in college. Coincidentally my first pc audio interface came bundled with Sonar l.e.
back in 2005. I have since owned, legitimately, 7 producer, 8 & 8.5 producer, &
now X1 studio. Slightly dated I know. I have been used to working understanding, & navigating with it ever since. I will not lie & say I have not had my share of annoyingly but short session ending issues with it. Unfortunately now I have reached a crisis point.

Virtually all TSE plugs work splendidly. I have an ancient computer. I keep it stripped of almost everything and only use it for recording. Despite that fact, most of what I try to accomplish with it works...with much time spent on workarounds. Despite all of that, TSE does not play nice with Sonar X1 studio. The problem is that any time I have loaded a TSE plug and then try to process to audio or delete the plug from the track bin, it crashes Sonar.
I read a post earlier that mentioned using other 32 bit plugs after might mess it up. I then saved all of the other plug's specs I had in the bin, deleted them from the track and tried processing to audio. Same thing.

The knowledge I have gained from the posts here and elsewhere tell me at least 2 things:

1) My computer just can't hang. It has no issues with any other large plugs,
other than some lag or pops, which I expect with my set-up. Nothing else crashes it and it works until I try to process the TSE plugs to track or make an MP3 & etc.

2) TSE plugs just don't like Sonar. Also a real possibility from older posts I have read, it doesn't seem like much has been done to rectify this though.
Some posts I saw about this are 3-4 years old so maybe this has changed.

I am specifically referencing the BOD 2.0, 03/2013 edition, at least that is what the folder says. I have had it happen with the X50 and the RAT as well.

Sonar is fully updated for it's version as are the plugs.

For what it is worth, just to be thorough, this is my pc setup...this will be changing after tax time (US) so any comments about needing to upgrade
aren't helpful, trust me I more than know that...unless it is a positively known answer to my issue please don't comment as such. It is as follows:

Sonar X1 Studio (legit & updated)
32GB HD 60% available
512 Ram w/ Intel Pentium 4
WIndows XP, optimized for home recording via a post from this forum.
I could list other plugs...don't have many more to be conscious of space and
performance, other than what came with studio. Some legit EzDrummer stuff.
Still never had issues until using TSE stuff, which I love and am so inspired by.
It just totally blows to try and send an MP3 to my guitarist and not be able to because of the crash.

I saw also that people are quitting Sonar and moving to Reaper due to other issues with Sonar. In 2010 it was $40 but a fully functioning demo was available and you could buy the key when you could afford it. Is this still so
and is Reaper still the way to go for most of you?

Sorry for the novel but any help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I am about to quit recording until February or so when I can upgrade my setup.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it.

:erk:

It is really simple...you are running our of memory. If you run out of available memory, even something as simple as deleting a plugin can cause extra information to be stored to memory, if you exceed the memory available, the program crashes. The TSE programs are resource extensive plugins and thus can load your system quickly.

I had similar problems some time ago when I used to have large SD2.0 patches that were like 3GB in size, since my version of Sonar is 32-bit as soon as my total system memory exceeded the 3.5GB limit of 32-bit systems, sonar would CTD (crash to desktop). Took a few minutes to figure it out.

For me tse x50 crashes on me after about 3 or 4 minutes even if it's the only plugin I have running. The BOD bass one works perfectly fine though. Using Samplitude Pro X for my DAW.

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think I was the only one with this issue. Having said that, I decided to try out Reaper as I know many of you swear by it, and with it there are no issues with the TSE plugs, none of them. i wouldn't doubt if memory has something to do with it and I am not a computer guru, at least in terms of memory and the inner workings thereof. I really love Reaper so far. It even seems to be geared toward my workflow and the styles of music I record/play. Far more than Sonar ever thought about. I think if I we're a primarily popular music musician, Sonar would be the way to go, but I think it will be Reaper for the foreseeable future. I got the 60 day evaluation and I left Sonar on my P.C. I know that is valuable space sitting there that I could be deleting but I want to feel Reaper out for the trial just to be sure I am still in lust with it before I completely delete and disregard Sonar. I have used it for many years.

If any one knows any pitfalls for me to watch out for regarding Reaper and I guess memory, please give me a heads up. If you feel it is appropriate to start a new thread regarding this, that would be good to know too.

Thanks so much!!!