sonar users

Dollarosa

Jan 17, 2009
Hey guys

Since I now know sonar does slip editing, I was wondering how I go about getting sonar to develop a 5ms gap with a crossfade when I cut a track (will like this automatic when I slice tacks), also does sonar have some kind of hiden button that allows me to see the vertical lines for each beat etc. One more thing, when I group the drums, sometimes one of the tracks ungroups, could someone properly tell me the way of grouping tracks properly.

Thanks for all your help

I have been using sonar for about 4 years and never knew it had slip editing until recently (on sonar 7.2)

Can't answer your questions, but after trying to edit drums on Sonar for a long time, I recently switched to Reaper and couldn't be happier. It is SO much better in every way. I still use Sonar for mixing and everything else though.

edit:
try the cakewalk forums, they're usually pretty helpful.

If you enable audio snap it will put a vertical line at the transients. I use audio snap a lot to convert audio to midi and it rocks, but It is capable of so much more than that. Im not even close to being an expert though...so I cant explain in very well.

Im sure that utilizing audio snap would help you out tons.

I found audiosnap very irritating when I was trying to learn how to use it. The documentation is horrible! But it is an awesome to. Like I said before, I mainly use it to convert audio transients to midi, but it has a lot more potential. You could use audiosnap to insert a split at every transient and then slip edit. If you have auto crossfade enabled it makes it even easier.

Thats just a tiny fraction of audiosnaps features.

Ive not tried reaper in quite a while, but if it really is THAT much easier I may need to give it another look. Im still using sonar 6 & it leaves a lil to be desired (i.e. Sidechain compression).

Cool, I have only used audiosnap a little

How do you insert a split at every transient with audiosnap? When I have fixed drums in the past I just did it by hand with crossfades, no slip edit etc, took hours just to fix little sections. I may have to purchase reaper to edit drums as that is the only thing in sonar I am having trouble with.

Cool, I have only used audiosnap a little

How do you insert a split at every transient with audiosnap? When I have fixed drums in the past I just did it by hand with crossfades, no slip edit etc, took hours just to fix little sections. I may have to purchase reaper to edit drums as that is the only thing in sonar I am having trouble with.

I wrote this for editing drums in Sonar:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...beat-detective-tutorial-multitrack-drums.html

However, I still recommend switching to Reaper. There's a free 30 day trial. Use Adam Wathan's plugin, which basically gives you Beat Detective/AudioSnap. Not only does Reaper handle resources better for drum editing (no lag vs completely locking up in Sonar - however it struggles resource-wise with a mix, whereas Sonar doesn't.. odd) but it's got a ton of tools that are really useful for drum editing.

I edited a well-played but fairly complex 4-minute metal song in 26 minutes the other day. I don't know any other method that would get that done that fast.

sick morgan

Thanks heaps for the advice, I played around with audiosnap heaps today (Hated it, sounds real phasey), could I be a pain and ask where the plugin is, I am going to buy reaper as it is only $40 to just do drum editing. Is there any other resources I could use to find to get my head around editing in reaper as this is the only part of my mixes that really suffer bad (I have been getting some shit drummers recently)

sick morgan

Thanks heaps for the advice, I played around with audiosnap heaps today (Hated it, sounds real phasey), could I be a pain and ask where the plugin is, I am going to buy reaper as it is only $40 to just do drum editing. Is there any other resources I could use to find to get my head around editing in reaper as this is the only part of my mixes that really suffer bad (I have been getting some shit drummers recently)

It shouldn't be phasey if you do it right. AudioSnap done the way in my tutorial is exactly the same result as in Reaper with the plugin, Reaper is just way faster and efficient and has some cool features. Search in the Equipment forum for the plugin by Adam Wathan iirc.

Hey again

Firstly, adam you are a god, plug in is awesome

Morgan, how are you importing you tracks from sonar?

Thanks

I wrote this for editing drums in Sonar:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...beat-detective-tutorial-multitrack-drums.html

However, I still recommend switching to Reaper. There's a free 30 day trial. Use Adam Wathan's plugin, which basically gives you Beat Detective/AudioSnap. Not only does Reaper handle resources better for drum editing (no lag vs completely locking up in Sonar - however it struggles resource-wise with a mix, whereas Sonar doesn't.. odd) but it's got a ton of tools that are really useful for drum editing.

I edited a well-played but fairly complex 4-minute metal song in 26 minutes the other day. I don't know any other method that would get that done that fast.

I've used audiosnap for years and gotten pretty fast at quantizing with it but the one thing that really bothers me is that it leaves a LOT of small flams that has to be edited manually afterwards. Is reaper better at detecting transients accurately?

I've used audiosnap for years and gotten pretty fast at quantizing with it but the one thing that really bothers me is that it leaves a LOT of small flams that has to be edited manually afterwards. Is reaper better at detecting transients accurately?

After watching Adam's tutorial, I run the snare and kick tracks through Trigger with a 'blip' output. I then run each of those outputs through ANOTHER trigger, with another 'blip' output, just to prevent it slicing twice whenever the kick and snare are hit together. I then use that to slice the rest of the tracks, and do all the toms and fills by hand (I ended up doing most by hand anyway when I ran the toms through Trigger, not accurate enough).