Drum editing and laaaaaaaaaag

Honestly, I didn't even know they still made 5400RPM hard drives:lol:

10K drives are great, but bear in mind with their dollar per gigabyte ratio, they'll burn a hole in your wallet real quick when you get to the bigger sizes.
7200RPM will be plenty fine for most projects.

I'm curious. Since the apple raid card is $700 and the difference between the quad and 8 core is about that same price. Which would you think would run smoother or is the better setup? 8 core non raid or quad raid 0?

The 8 core should do things like fades quicker, but the RAID array will handle many edits and non contiguous audio files better. Work out where the bottleneck in your set-up is, and adjust accordingly.

get a 7200 rpm drive.. minimum... you will destroy that 5400 rpm drive in no time.

yeah dude , 7200 rpm minimun to work whit audio. make shure you have at least two hard drives .one for the OS ,plugins programs etc... the another one(7200 rpm) use it for storage all the data of your projects. libraries of sound etc.

i learn this in my first workstation class on the institute i study. it make huge diference.

if you have the OS,librarie sounds, data of the projects and recording at the same time. your hd can die .because youre force it to do all that stuf. read, write, playback.. etc

i wish i can be more especific but my english is not helping me. :Smug:

Ok, after struggling with this for a while I finally figured out a workflow that kinda works. But its really awkward if AudioSnap doesn't get it right with the autoquantize..

I had Reaper installed, so I just did a 'shootout' with editing on that. On Sonar, I can split all the transients and that causes no lag. I can then play, with no lag. I can move the transients around, with no lag. But after 5 bars of moved and crossfaded transients, when I tried to play it locked up.

Tried in Reaper and I could do 25 bars, fully edited, and it played with zero lag. Reaper's system is a lot more awkward, but Sonar's lag is just unnacceptable.
So now I know its not my computer.. what could be going wrong in Sonar?

I know that.. but I can't afford another drive atm, and if Reaper is fine with this then obviously that's not the problem. Sure a better hd speed would improve it, but if that's not the source of the problem then I'm going to have the same issue after upgrading. :/

I got a hard-drive here; just a shame you're in AUS, coz shipping a HDD from the UK would cost as much as buying one over there!

I'd say drop Sonar, personally...

And obviously you don't care about your drive failing and losing everything.
You've already been warned about 5400 RPM drives failing from overuse a few times in this thread.

Once, and I wasn;t 100% sure if he meant destroyed literally. If that is a big problem I may have to look into getting a better drive (need a whole new computer, but that's wishful thinking) :/ but it still doesn't solve my problem unfortunately. I've posted on the Cakewalk forums, they're usually pretty helpful but no response yet.

edit: just thought of something.. this laptop is a couple years old now (has a 5400rpm hd; and I have a newer external 5400rpm hd). If 5400rpm drives fail from overuse.. does that mean I need to get TWO new harddrives? Or is running everything off the 5400rpm hd and putting the audio on the external one alright?