New DAW Day !!!! Sonar X1

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
OMG .... Just got Sonar X1 Studio Producer for $99 Upgrade. HOLY SHIT I am loving it. Session drummer allows importing of outside WAV Samples. This thing is AWESOME. Even Slate got his hands in it as Session drummer comes with a few of the Slate Kits and samples.

I just got it installed about 30 minutes ago and been dicking around. New routing and project metronome is awesome. MIDI editing is a breeze. Audio editing is fast and accurate.

I will let you guys know more as I dive deeper into it. But so far its pretty fucking amazing!

I upgraded too from V8 to this new X1 three weeks ago and it´s amazing, ProChannel is goldshit man! I use it in every f***ing channel! It makes me think if my investment on my waves eq´s worth nothing....for any sonar user, I think it´s a must

REally? Just right now I was browsing for alternatives. The talk in the forum there is VERY discouraging atm.
I've been an all-time CW/Sonar user, since Pro Audio 9 -that my mum got me as a present back in the day :oops:. But for me it's really never been a smooth ride, and I'm seriously considering going to either Reaper or Studio One (the latter being @ the same price range as full-rate X1).

People are bitching so much in that forum about it not having fixed old bugs and instead just a new makeover GUI with the same old, outdated code..
For me personally I got tired of waiting for decent notation, I think after all these years I'm finally gonna throw the towel. And that X1a incomplete patch for ASIO- just days after release, that's just unjustifiable.

REally? Just right now I was browsing for alternatives. The talk in the forum there is VERY discouraging atm.
I've been an all-time CW/Sonar user, since Pro Audio 9 -that my mum got me as a present back in the day :oops:. But for me it's really never been a smooth ride, and I'm seriously considering going to either Reaper or Studio One (the latter being @ the same price range as full-rate X1).

People are bitching so much in that forum about it not having fixed old bugs and instead just a new makeover GUI with the same old, outdated code..
For me personally I got tired of waiting for decent notation, I think after all these years I'm finally gonna throw the towel. And that X1a incomplete patch for ASIO- just days after release, that's just unjustifiable.

The problem with the Sonar forums right now is the same people are cross posting their problems across every thread regardless the original topic, playing the role of the child that screams the loudest gets attention.

Take a close look, you will see it is about 10 users that are dragging that forum into a useless bog of worthless information. Shame really - the old Producer forum was a great place for information.

Yes, there are some bugs and some problems - some have already been adressed in X1a patch, the X1b patch is scheduled for sometime in February. The things I use Sonar for have not been impacted and I find the GUI enhancements to be great and have made my interactions with Sonar more streamlined once I actually read the manual and stopped fumbling around as many of the users having problems have done. The new UI is certainly different, and shortcuts have all been redone with more effort to have them make sense for a new user, but you really need to take some time and read the manual if you are a long time user of previous versions.

I hope the mods do some cleaning of the chaff so users looking for wheat (useful information) can find help when needed - as it stands right now I'd rather figure out something myself than look in the X1 forum.

As always - your mileage may vary.

Yes Jind thanks much I agree- there's some users really making a number on that forum. Shame really, because actual relevant threads get overlooked.
I think I saw some people saying the problems with X1 were because of Roland pressuring the CW team to make an early release for the holidays. Who knows

Anyway I'm gonna let the storm pass and see what's what
Didn't mean to burst Guru's bubble of happiness ;)

Oh trust me your not bursting my bubble. I am just really loving Session drummer and the new Convolution Reverb plugin. Session drummer makes it SOOOOOOOO easy to layer snares and kicks without having to resort to multiple instances of Trigger. Its AWESOME!

The convolution reverb plugin is OMGFG! I cant believe I have never playd with convolutions before. I have always just used a room verb on OH;s and snare but with the convolution reverb and the ability to adjust the sends into the plugin to make it really sound like a set of OH;s is fucking amazing.

I may need to do a sample just so you guys can hear it.

The new tube compressor is really nice too. Does an AMAZING job on drums..

Here is a rough mix of a punk thing I am working on. I still need to adjust the compression a bit on the OH's cause I think the cymbals have too much sustain, but this is just a Standard Slate kit, and it makes them sound HUGE!

http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/punk.mp3

I Still have to quantize some of the drum bits on the end, but you get the idea.

Just found a MAJOR issue for me. I cant grab and slide clips into time ... guess its time to break out the manual. In 6 I could just GRAB with a left click and drag in the new version all left click does is move the mark ont he grid. THIS IS A MAJOR issue for me for when it comes to editing. i dont like it at all!!!

I also just cant click on a clip and hit the delete key on my keyboard.....

This thing is GREAT for mixing but for editing I AM FAR FROM HAPPY!

EDIT:
FOUND IT!

UGHHH .. tool should ALWAYS be the Move tool .... ugly ugly!! But splitting clips is simple..... God I hate getting used to shit ...

Apparently X1 has slip editing now, alt+shift and drag with the move or smart tool... Anyone confirm? Wish I had a PC to demo it on.

Sonar has had slip editing with alt+shift+drag for a long time. I know Sonar 3 had it. Not sure about versions earlier than that.

Someone mentioned Studio One, and so I'll throw this out - I just mixed a whole track in Studio One and it's been the easiest workflow I've ever encountered. Piece of piss to use, but powerful at the same time. It has some quirks, but I'm really liking it. It has become my main DAW.

Sonar X1 looks great. Waiting to try it out myself too.

Someone mentioned Studio One, and so I'll throw this out - I just mixed a whole track in Studio One and it's been the easiest workflow I've ever encountered. Piece of piss to use, but powerful at the same time. It has some quirks, but I'm really liking it. It has become my main DAW.

Sonar X1 looks great. Waiting to try it out myself too.

Had the exact same experience when I demo mixed a song in Studio One. Came together effortlessly, and was one of my best sounding 'done in 4 hours from the bottom up' mixes ever.

One thing I wasn't liking at the time was how the color scheme made mixer channels hard to read, but I imagine it has come a fair way since then.... I just hate Presonus dearly, and don't want to invest over into their camp unless they build that thing up into a ProTools-killer.

Well I'm not one for brand or company loyalty. I eat Nestle chocolate with no issue ;)
Would it help if most of the dev team were ex-Steinberg employee's ?? Probably not. lol.

I've not run into that issue with the mixer channels. I find them very clear tbh.

I'm still really interested in Sonar X1 however. It looks purty... and has some advanced functionality that I would end up using.

Holy crap, yea everyone said sonar had no slip editing, YES!!!!!!!!!! "alt + shift" = drum editing made alot easier:)