Reamp level?

Thared33

Aug 16, 2002
I've got a couple of problems here. I've got a LittleLabs RedEye and I can't get everything where I want it to be. I did a comparison of live playing to the DI tracks and there's a definite difference, and I'm talking about the miked sound.

I've heard that the appropriate tracking levels for a DI are supposed to be as hot as you can get it without clipping (-3db or so), but why is it that I've seen others' DI tracks here that are WAY low that are completely usable? It seems for me to get the proper leveling I have to track a hot DI and have the RedEye at full blast. Other DI tracks that I've seen here are much lower than that.

Which brings me to saying that the louder I have the RedEye, the more noise it makes. How in the hell do I get rid of it? The Earth Lift switch is engaged but there's still a bit of noise in there.

Ah yes, another Redeye purchaser with the requisite "my level is too low WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" thread :loco: Disengage the pad, you'll need something very long and thin to stick all the way down that hole (I just took the chassis out to get access to it), and since it's a passive device, it's not like you're adding any signal by turning up the level/disengaging the pad; rather, you're just not attenuating as much. I always run it with the pad disengaged and the level at max on mine, and it pretty much perfectly equals the level of a guitar for me! (and I have my DI's peak at around -5 just to be safe).

As for the noise, that's a ground loop, buy this or ideally this (if you're in the US), put it at the end of your amp's power cord, and be happy (and once you have one, don't use the earth lift) - I had ground loop nightmares, bought the Hum X, and have been in noise free heaven ever since!

(and I have my DI's peak at around -5 just to be safe).

Btw Marcus you speak on DBfs or not?
Other question (not about Redeyes but Radial RMpro); how do you run level on this (I'm a 13)? Whitoout ground or not?

Thanks a lot in advance (and sorry for the spam)

yeah marcus is spot on; use a cocktail stick or paperclip to turn off the pad.
if you have a ground loop that the earth switch aint fixing, use one of those thingamies or move your interface to the same room as the amp, or another and see if that helps

Btw Marcus you speak on DBfs or not?
Other question (not about Redeyes but Radial RMpro); how do you run level on this (I'm a 13)? Whitoout ground or not?

Thanks a lot in advance (and sorry for the spam)

No problem dude, and yeah, when I say peaking at -5, I mean if it were to go 5 dB hotter it'd be clipping (that's what dBfs is, right? I've never been certain tbh :erk: ), so that's why I don't push it up to -3 like some suggest, just to be safe! And I actually did a shootout between the Redeye and ProRMP (as well as the Cuniberti Reamp V2 and Radial X-amp) and found for all of them, it was definitely best to keep the level at max, and keep the ground on! (and if you have noise with the ground on, better to get an isolation transformer like the one I linked to above)

No problem dude, and yeah, when I say peaking at -5, I mean if it were to go 5 dB hotter it'd be clipping (that's what dBfs is, right? I've never been certain tbh :erk: ), so that's why I don't push it up to -3 like some suggest, just to be safe! And I actually did a shootout between the Redeye and ProRMP (as well as the Cuniberti Reamp V2 and Radial X-amp) and found for all of them, it was definitely best to keep the level at max, and keep the ground on! (and if you have noise with the ground on, better to get an isolation transformer like the one I linked to above)

Thanks a lot for this reply (really helpfull imo):headbang:
Btw I already see your reamp shootout thread. I listened result during 3 days before choosing my reamp box (sorry but for me it's radial rmpro>reamp>redeyes:lol:)!
By chance I haven't any noise with ground on for moment:saint: