reamping snare ?!?!?!

I'm not getting it, I don't see how this could actually work.

You would pick up more of the "speaker" then the actual snare cause of how loud you have to turn it up to get it to actually strike the snare. At least that's what I would think.

what+the+fuck+am+I+reading.png

You're supposed to take the speaker out of the enclosure and put it on the drum head, and it does work. It gives you a usable bottom snare mic, since suddenly the snares are moving like they should be, but that's really it.

It works, it helps bring out some of the "thud" and "piff" (ha ha) of the snare. Useful for adding some beef and bottom snare to the overall snare sound, though I'm not sure how well it'd work for metal/hard rock applications. It's a useful trick to know.

Reason #2 to have a 12" or 10" speaker laying about,..

(Reason #1 is for a subkick).

This could actually be useful to get a nice room sound, for example, instead of using your room mic in the mix for the whole drums, or even sidechain and gate it with the snare, we all know gates arent perfect. So if you did this with the same snare and put on a LDC in a nice room you could actually get an extra track of just the snare room for example

This could actually be useful to get a nice room sound, for example, instead of using your room mic in the mix for the whole drums, or even sidechain and gate it with the snare, we all know gates arent perfect. So if you did this with the same snare and put on a LDC in a nice room you could actually get an extra track of just the snare room for example

Doesn't work, its the same as putting a room/reverb impulse on it. Because what you get from the top (or even top+bottom) snare mics is not the whole sound of the snare. You're much better off making samples of the room mic and triggering it from the close snare mic.