Reamping with fx pedals?

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Quick question.

I'm gonna be recording a band that is very heavily into using their pedals. They sound A LOT like Korn so I can see why. They asked me if they would be able to use them in the studio. If possible I'd definitely like to try it.

My usual workflow does not include pedals except a noise gate and a tube screamer while reamping. I usually do all my fx in the box.

What do you recommend i do? I'm guessing I shouldn't record the pedals with the DI.

What about stuff like delays and phaser (things that should usually go with the grid)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

maybe you can record the clean DI first, than edit it and finally reamp it with all the pedals. This way the delay for example would be in time due to the editing.
And if something goes wrong or is unsatisfying, you always have the clean DI to use with ITB FX.

Though I have never done this, there are a few things I would consider trying if the opportunity presented itself.

First of all, I would ALWAYS record a clean DI alongside whatever else you are doing.
I would also record their performance + their FX at the same time as the DI. Who knows, it may turn out great. Worst case, it will be a very nice scratch track to get an idea of the goal.

Now, I usually use my own FX as well, but I have to say that the sound in certain genres really depends on the pedalboard choices. Post rock and metal comes to mind. Those musicians often work and adapt their playing to how the pedals sound. In such a case I would consider either reamping with all the FX in place and tweaking until everyone is happy, or reamping the guitar amp with pre-input FX, and then reamping that recorded signal through just the loop pedals. That should give you similar sounds, but on split tracks. Could be nice to have the "clean" amp signal in mono and the loop FX in stereo too. This may be a bit harder to do if there are a lot of live movements in the pedals -volume swells and stuff- but I imagine it is worth a try.

I think experimentation is key. Every method has pros and cons, so as long as everyone is aware of them and the band and you can find something you like, everything should be allowed. If the pedals don't work out, you can always go back to your own FX.

well if you plan to edit the living fuck out of the guitars, then it might be a problem. Otherwise, i'd record with all the "pre-distortion" effects into the DI

commit to a sound

I would suggest recording clean DI, then borrowing their pedals for the reamping process. That's how a friend's band is going to do their recording, and they are too very heavily influenced by KoRn/metal.