Reaper Vs. Nuendo.

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
I have been fucking around with Reaper for a while and i'm having a much easier time mixing my drums and some stuff sounds lots better then when i mixed it with nuendo.

Same plug ins i used in nuendo were used with reaper except for 1 or 2 reaper plug ins.

Everything seems clearer and nuendo seems to smother a bit when next to reaper.

Are my ears playing tricks on me or do more people who tried reaper hear this?

JB.

I really like reaper a lot. It does everything I need it to, so I have no reason to use anything else.

I do wish the midi editor was as good as cubase/nuendo's drum editor, but it's only a slight annoyance. I can still use it, maybe just not as fast... no big deal though

I really like reaper a lot. It does everything I need it to, so I have no reason to use anything else.

I do wish the midi editor was as good as cubase/nuendo's drum editor, but it's only a slight annoyance. I can still use it, maybe just not as fast... no big deal though

Really? I've been trying out the Reaper MIDI editor for the first time today (for EZDrummer) and it's really straightforward and easy to use. What does Nuendo/Cubase do better/different?

i dont know about the drum editor in reaper but controlling external instruments via Nuendos' sequencer sucks ass. even when you do things in the drum editor with quantize set it still miss triggers.

I am loving Cubase 4 (Nuendo audio engine) but I think you should try setting your Nuendo to the same pan law as you are using in Reaper for the sake of a fair comparison. I use the -3db pan law in Cubase myself, as per DSS3's suggestion, which is NOT the default, and it has made my mixes sound better than ever!

+1 yeh i also was wondering on this.....i did some research and everything i found out about the Stereo pan law....is that no setting is better than the other u just got to pick one setting and stick with it because if you go to do in the middle of the mix things will be all messed up......i just hear a volume diffrence when i change the setting .

but yeh explain more on it.....what did DSS3 have to say about it? was there a thread on it?

and yeh i have mine set to Equal Power

explain this pretty please?

as opposed to "equal power"?

Here's a good article on the subject, circa Cubase SX3. Apparently -3db was the default pan law in Cubase then, but it isn't for me if I start by using the "empty project" template:

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/panning_laws/

I personally prefer the sound of -3db to 0db or "equal power." It makes for a roomier feeling mix, but this is of course very subjective and mix-specific.

It is just a volume difference, and I'm pretty certain that it means that if you have it set at +3db, when you pan something left or right, it will get louder, up to +3 db when hard panned, than if it were panned center because of the way our hearing works and/or the fact that only one speaker is producing the sound. Apparently it's supposed to sound more consistent to our ears...

EDIT: Just saw Kazrog's post, made as I was typing mine - is it -3b? I guess that'd mean signals are attenuated by 3db when panned center, which is the same thing.