Recommend me some happy music

challenge_everything

Feb 9, 2006
great southern wasteland
This is a two part request:

Firstly, some good fun party music (non heavy) that's not shit. Whatever genre you want: electronic, funk, rock, but not too interested in rap/hip hop except the more earthy soulful stuff like Michael Franti, The Roots, Damian Marley etc.

Secondly, something beautiful, pleasant and catchy to listen to. I'm thinking along the lines of Porcupine Tree/Blackfield, Dredg, Shearwater, newer Anathema.

Cheers

Not exactly what you're looking for, but everyone in search of happy music should try Love. It's an awesome psychedelic rock band from the 60s. There's nothing like their classic Forever Changes.

Vampire Weekend is really catchy and happy music. They've got a pretty unique sound too for an indie band.
I see some of you mentioned Dredg and Porcupine Tree...I wouldn't exactly consider that happy or upbeat lol. They both explore pretty dark themes at times.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but everyone in search of happy music should try Love. It's an awesome psychedelic rock band from the 60s. There's nothing like their classic Forever Changes.

you really find that album to be 'happy'?

as for the OP, listen to boston's s/t man

Yes, quite. And also beautiful, pleasant and catchy.

i always found it quite melancholy, at least a lot of the time. you can hardly party down to 'alone again or' or 'the red telephone'. really good album though

OP could try 'odessey and oracle' by the zombies if he hasn't heard them. also got a bit of a melancholy tinge in places, but only in a beach boys kind of way (but better), it's basically pretty happy.

completely happy music is for hippies anyway

i always found it quite melancholy, at least a lot of the time. you can hardly party down to 'alone again or' or 'the red telephone'. really good album though

It's not really party music, but it was more meant to fit the second part of the request. The Red Telephone is really the only melancholic song on that album. Alone Again Or is somewhat interesting; the song itself is very happy though the lyrics are bleak. I still consider their overall sound to be happier than say, Porcupine Tree.

This is a two part request:

Firstly, some good fun party music (non heavy) that's not shit. Whatever genre you want: electronic, funk, rock, but not too interested in rap/hip hop except the more earthy soulful stuff like Michael Franti, The Roots, Damian Marley etc.

Not sure if this qualifies as "party music", but it's happy and upbeat:

Fanfare Ciocarlia (Speed Brass):

Mother's Finest (Funk Rock):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMlA-IdLD-I&feature=related[/ame]

Två Fisk Och En Fläsk:
http://www.myspace.com/tvafiskochenflask

Try the songs "Mit Ganczem Willen" and "Unge Erik". If you like them, follow the link to their website where you can download these and some other songs. (Check the "Music"-section and click on the album-covers.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You should check out Gary Jules and Keaton Simons. They play mostly bluesy, folk stuff. They're definitely pleasant, and they help me unwind after a long day.

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Lush - Ciao (it's a best of but I listen to it the most)
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

They also explore dark themes sometimes, but The Smiths, or Stone Roses are pretty upbeat and quite accessible if you're into metal. It's the rockiest, dirtiest, and darkest of pop.

...but it's still pop.

Some Porcupine Tree songs are happy and upbeat like "The Rest Will Flow" and "Drown with Me".

The new My Morning Jacket has some good summertime chill tunes on it.
OR, Try the band Dispatch, Pepper or Sublime for happy reggae/alternative bands.