Recommendation #2: Growing - The Sky's Run Into The Sea

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
Growing - The Sky's Run Into The Sea (Kranky, 2003)
File under: ambient-laced drone, or vice versa.

krank060.jpg

Tracklisting
1. A Painting
2. Life In D
3. Cutting, Opening, Swimming
4. Southern Rites
5. Pavement Rich In Gold

The songs uploaded are 15 and 17 minutes respectively. Not for slow connections or people who demand instant gratification from music.

Decsription/background: I've seen this band described as "one of the loudest quiet bands you'll ever hear". An apt description for a band that walks the fine line between drone and ambient on their debut (the one recommended here) and subsequent releases. Don't necessarily be turned off by the word "drone" and inevitable associations with a band they've toured with, SunnO))), as the noisier elements are used as contrast and rarely dominate, and there is definitely a sense of melody, and even warmth in the guitar tones, here. The closing track even incorporates vocals, albeit mixed back and indecipherable. As with the Guapo recommendation, this isn't for everybody, and be patient as the songs take a long time to start (inevitable lame pun) growing.

"On their debut album The Sky’s Run Into the Sea, the trio relies on guitar, bass and electronics to create something that defies words, categorization and listener apathy. In six tracks lasting just under an hour, the group creates wave upon wave of noise and drones, comparable to Sunn O))), but equally reminiscent of the ambient mysticism of Fripp & Eno." - excerpt from review from Dusted magazine.

not very useful official site

Kranky website

This music definetaly requires more than 1 listen. It's quite beautiful and left me in an imperturbable state of being. I honestly can say that I haven't felt this calm in quite some time, and I believe these 2 tracks helped contribute to that feeling of ease. Cheers

I was sure I had always heard Growing attributed as being just another drone band. But this is not just another drone band! I'm shocked and awed.