Recommendation: Psychotic Waltz - Into The Everflow (1992)

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
39982ny.jpg

Track Listing

1. Ashes (5:09)
2. Out Of Mind (4:45)
3. Tiny Streams (5:02)
4. Into The Everflow (8:18)
5. Little People (4:07)
6. Hanging On A String (3:49)
7. Freakshow (5:40)
8. Butterfly (9:18)

Total Time: 46:01

(re-release contains Black Sabbath cover "Disturbing The Priest")

Click Here for LYRICS

Why this band is virtually unknown is completely beyond me. Between A Social Grace and Into The Everflow, they put out two of the best releases in the 90's, easily. Amazing musicianship, Buddy Lackey's amazing pipes, TONS of jaw-dropping moments, excellent lyrics, psychedelic, ethereal, emotional, heavy, you name it...this band has got it all. I cannot even decide which songs to upload because they all are tremendous. I'm not gonna upload "Butterfly" because you should buy this fucker to hear that precious song. This is one of them few albums that defies all explanation and being one who isn't the best at explaining things, I present you with a review:

RevelationZ Magazine said:
Here is a review I put of for a long time because I didn't feel I could do the album justice at all. Words still won't be able to capture the essence of what this album has, it has to be experienced in all its weirdness. But I will try to give you an idea if this is something for you or not.

Making a definite change since their mind-blowing debut A social grace, Into the Everflow proves to be even more challenging and mysterious than its predecessor. Into the Everflow leaves much of the "in your face" feeling of A social grace behind and goes for a more subtle way to spellbind the listener. I would say this is one of the weirdest albums in my collection but also one those I treasure the most. Progressive Metal is the order of the day and this is one of those ordeals that may take time to get under your skin, but when it does I promise you won't grow tired of it anytime soon. Hidden within the ripples of this music are countless moments of genius musicianship, far-out experiments and surreal atmospheres, but most important of all, moments of pure beauty.

A mysterious atmosphere sucks you in right from the start. The dreamy opening minutes of Ashes gives me a feeling of entering a theater and sitting down in a comfortable chair as the lights fade, not knowing what will happen, but thinking "This sure sounds interesting". When the ten ton heavy dual guitar riff kicks in the effect is powerful beyond anything else. There is a crunch to the guitar sound that has it tearing through the fabric of even the most hardened speaker. This must be heard loud to get the proper effect. The song is like a sea, flowing in and out of moods, finally rising like a wave of emotion as Buddy Lackey's voice enters the music and that guitar melody in the background lifts you higher and higher into space. This is a very surprising start to the album.

Living up to their name what happens next with Out of mind cannot be described any other way than psychotic. The ultra heavy guitars create chaos by throwing an abundance of riffs at the listener, while Buddy Lackey's voice floats on top giving the song a trippy kind of feel. His voice stands in a weird contrast to the music as they don't seem to be following the same melody. All I can say is that it somehow works 100%. This is one of those types of songs you won't hear anywhere else and I remember the first time I heard it I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. To quote a certain cartoon character... "hehe, cool!"

The slightly more normal (if that is a way to put it with this band) Tiny Streams continues to show how the band has evolved since the debut. Jam-packed with cool passages and a running time of just 5 minutes this is a very complex song where every instrument has something to say.

The title track has a brooding atmosphere that builds slowly but surely towards a spine tingling climax. Halfway through the two guitars break away and begin building melody upon melody in the most genius way. This gives me an experience of falling through a strange dream that I can't wake from and as Buddy Lackey's smooth voice enters the sound the dream suddenly comes alive. Not just a song, but an experience in itself, Into the Everflow is spellbinding unlike anything else.
When both guitars join the same melody the effect is astounding and overall this is just a completely satisfying song.

The guitar playing on this album is nothing short of ear-flappingly amazing. I have never heard two guitarists complement each other so well before. Often splitting the speakers between them, Brian McAlpin and Dan Rock do all kinds of crazy things and their sheer brilliance almost makes you forget the other intruments. That would be a real shame though as Ward Evans on Bass and Norm Leggio on Drums have just as equal a part in making the music work. I have a hard time putting words to their skills, but concentrating on either the drums or bass it is apparant that here is someone who has timing and the skill to tease and impress the attentive listener. Amazing musicians all around.

Little people sets of at high speed and has a completely weird and surprising guitar riff. Again the way the two guitars play together and harmonise (Disharmonise?) in a spellbinding way. The drumming on this song is a journey in itself and provides a lot of interesting detail.

Hanging on a string is the albums simplest and most relaxing moment. It is a brilliant song and one of my favorites. The melody is soothing and I have found myself singing along with this one on several occasions. Buddy Lackey's voice has a tinge of sadness to it and it feels like he is living out the lyrics.

Freakshow opens with a hectic, stressful feeling and the roundabout riff doesn't make it any less exotic. Buddy sings hard and loud in the first part, but suddenly the whole song changes in mood and tempo as it passes through an incredibly beautiful passage where a heavenly guitar sound gives a sense of tranquility amidst all the chaos. Buddy's voice is soft and relaxed and I have thought for many years that this is one of the most beautiful passages ever recorded. A similar passage returns later with an even greater impact. Now the perfect guitar sound has changed from tranquil to a crunchier and more electric sound and here it takes on an otherworldly life of its own. These are chilling moments when I know that something immortal has been created.

Butterfly provides a very complex ending to the album and I will let you fly through it unguided. (prepare for a treat!!!!)

Into the Everflow has recently been released as a double package together with the last Psychotic Waltz album Bleeding and a slightly different artwork. The sound has been improved slightly but it was already very good on the original release. Into the Everflow now had a bonus CD, which is a real treat for the fans. you get demos of 6 of the 8 songs from Into the everflow as well as the Aslan demo which predated Psychotic Waltz. The demo songs have a rawer sound and of special interest is Little People which is played faster than on the actual album and the almost primal version of Hanging on a string or the phone that rings in the middle of Butterfly. Great stuff for the fans. Having a nostalgic feeling with this album and I would have liked the cover of Black Sabbath's "Disturbing the priest" on the second disc instead. Into the everflow should end right there with Butterfly.

Into the everflow is one of the most unique albums in my collection. This was a band that was not afraid to try new things and at this point it seemed like they could do no wrong. An album that will still surprise you even today. Pure musicianship and talent combined with an incredible sense of melody and attention to detail makes this a small masterpiece. Into the everflow is a strange and beautiful experience that goes on forever.

Formerly hard to find, all of Psychotic Waltz's material has been re-released so there is no excuse not to own this gem.

So I write this song of mine
To soothe my ears and ease my mind
And so another written page
Will turn into the everflow

Psychotic Waltz is one of those bands that I always wanted to listen to because they sound like something that I would like, but just never got around to it. Will do so now. :kickass:

Doomcifer said:
Why this band is virtually unknown is completely beyond me.

=

Formerly hard to find, all of Psychotic Waltz's material has been re-released so there is no excuse not to own this gem.

You ask and you answer.

I'm honestly not sure what to think of those three songs after one listen. It's not what I expected going in (Note: I didn't read the review), and a lot more quirky than I'd anticipated. The vocals were not immediately pleasant. I'll definitely beeing playing these more though, because I feel they may be growers, as so much of the greatest music has proven to be.

Hmm... this song sounds like it has the potential to be great with more listens!

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

I'm not even going to bother listening to these MP3s.

That's because I've got the real CD at home (the re-releases) that I bought at last year's ProgPower!!!!, and it's still sealed in all its glorious plastic wrapping. Total blind buy from a year ago that I've yet to spin! [/markgugs]

JayKeeley said:
I'm not even going to bother listening to these MP3s.

That's because I've got the real CD at home (the re-releases) that I bought at last year's ProgPower!!!!, and it's still sealed in all its glorious plastic wrapping. Total blind buy from a year ago that I've yet to spin! [/markgugs]

:zombie: Get on it bucko!

Definitely a 'grower' record from what I can tell from those three tracks. The vocals put me off somewhat at first, but I became acclimatised to them fairly quickly. 'Into The Everflow' seemed a bit of a snoozefest - seemed to be building towards a climax that never came. Definitely interesting stuff, and I didn't turn it off - whether I'll buy the album or not depends on whether it 'clicks' on the next few listens.

dill_the_devil said:
Definitely a 'grower' record from what I can tell from those three tracks. The vocals put me off somewhat at first, but I became acclimatised to them fairly quickly. 'Into The Everflow' seemed a bit of a snoozefest - seemed to be building towards a climax that never came. Definitely interesting stuff, and I didn't turn it off - whether I'll buy the album or not depends on whether it 'clicks' on the next few listens.

You're telling me that the INSANE dual guitar melodies at the end of Into The Everflow isn't climactic?! The second half of that song, due to the guitar work is phenomenal! This album really does wonder with a good pair of headphones I have come to realize as well.

Doomcifer said:
Why this band is virtually unknown is completely beyond me. Between A Social Grace and Into The Everflow, they put out two of the best releases in the 90's, easily.
Thanks for the recommendation. These were two CDs I checked out (quickly) and blew off. I just put them on my iPod and plan to spend more time with them.

Zod

One of the best albums ever. Although I think that A Social Grace is better.
Everyone has to listen to the four Psychotic Waltz albums.

A Social Grace is better in my book. The opener is just a totally kickass song. That said, this one is also excellent. Mosquito is a bit weak, but Bleeding is good. Deadsoul Tribe was awesome on the debut, the follow up was good but familiar, and then they kept re-releasing the basically same album again and again and got old.