RECOMMENDATION: Dødheimsgard - Monumental Possession

Henrik Main

Hello
Aug 10, 2002
Norway
Visit site
17404-0-300-0-300.jpg

A lot of people write off DHG's entire discography because of the ambitious and over-the-top "666 International". Others can't be bothered to check out the band at all, due to the band's reputation as an all-star band gone wrong (notibilites such as Fenriz, Carl-Michael Eide, Aldrahn and Emperor's Jonas Alver have all been involved in DHG). Those people are truly missing out on some excellent releases - the raw and primitive (but still great) "Kronet Til Konge", and their 1996 full length; "Monumental Possession".

Best described as a mixture of raw, fast black metal, thrash and even some industrial, "Monumental Possession" takes no prisoners in its rifftastic all-out-attack. Featuring some of the genre's most intense vocals and rock solid guitar work, this is a gem that shouldn't be overlooked.

Track list:

01. Intro
02. Utopia Running Scarlet
03. The Crystal Specter
04. Bluebell Heart
05. Monumental Possession
06. Fluency
07. Angel Death
08. Lost In Faces
09. The Ultimate Reflection

The first track sounded so silly I couldn't take it seriously. I enjoyed the 2nd track moreso, I didn't find the vocals as absurd as on the first track, and I liked it better musically, but it still didn't really seem too impressive.

At least now I can say I've heard some Dødheimsgard, thanks.

I only downloaded the first track and after hearing I didn't bother with the second. It's ok music I guess, the vocals aren't very good though not horrible either. This kind of high-speed black metal can work really well, but then it needs more varyation and generally a more interesting composition; sheer brutality and speed can't make it on its own.

All in all, ok

General Zod said:
All joking aside, these may be the worst vocals I've ever heard in my life. Some of the riffing is cool, but the vocals are so bad, they actually made me laugh out loud.

Zod
and yet they're still way, way better than attila csihar :erk:

Thanatopsis123 said:
I guess you didn't hear mine then? :D

The Angelic Process seemed interesting, enough to warrant further investigation. I had to turn off the Yat-Kha though, I just found it annoying to be honest.

cthulufhtagn said:
and yet they're still way, way better than attila csihar :erk:

Although it's frowned upon to say that on this forum, I totally agree with you.