Recommendation: Nocturnus - The Key

Hell Mike

fuck melodic black metal
Aug 22, 2003
Norrland
www.nasheim.se
NOCTURNUS - The Key
cover697_11698.jpg

Death metal from outer space, that's what this is. Really fucking good death metal from 1990 that sounds like Darth Vader on a bad day. Influnces would be Morbid Angel, Death, Possessed and such, or more likely the same as those fellas listened to (Slayer, Venom etc?) plus ten. I don't know really how they manage to pull this off without even coming close to silliness, but they do. The synth dude could get a wee bit less space (no pun intended) outside intros, but it's still asskicking hellbanging goodness, just listen dammit and you'll be blowing up planets in notime.

1. Lake Of Fire
2. Visions From Beyond The Grave
3. Standing In Blood
4. Neolithic
5. Undead Journey
6. B.C./A.D. (Before Christ/After Death)
7. Andromeda Strain
8. Droid Sector
9. Destroying The Manger
10. Empire Of The Sands

ahead of its time maybe ... overrated as fuck ... hell yeah.
one of the worst drummers in history

This and Massacre's "From Beyond" always seem to get overlooked when examining the best of early Floridian death metal. And a shame, this has so many great moments.

what I like with this album is that when you listen closely with headphones, you can clearly hear the drummer (and singer, gotta give the guy credits for doing both) miss a few kicks :tickled:

Excellent album, I heard they reunited and did a pretty generic album?

This and Massacre's "From Beyond" always seem to get overlooked when examining the best of early Floridian death metal. And a shame, this has so many great moments.

that's another shitty disc and pretty pedestrian.

just because it came out at the "right time" does not make it great.

When the Massacre disc finally came out in 1991 it came and went with no big hurahh ...

Yes, technically they are one of the forefathers of DM, and I think people give them respect for that more than anything ... but their release/s were nothing really special.

The main thing holding Massacre album back is the production. You should listen to the demos.