Recommendation: Pentagram - Day of Reckoning

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
So I've noticed that as much as any of us around here love DOOM METAL (and we do), this outstanding band doesn't seem to generate too much conversation in the halls of Royal Pinkage. Let me tell you, these guys write some of the best, downright creepiest, most impressive Sabbath-like doom I've ever heard. For a while I've been touting their First Daze Here compilation as superior to this very album I've chosen for you today, but in the last week I've been spinning this more again and have been forced to review all of my choices.

So here I will present to you four of my favouritest cuts of DOOOOOOOOOM on this planet. I will not attempt to hide the fact that "Burning Saviour" is probably one of my top ten songs of all time, but the other tracks here stand their ground exceptionally well. What Pentagram adds to the doom formula, what truly allows them to stand unmatched by contemporaries, imitators and the like, includes among other things the inimitable vocals of Bobby Liebling. This guy totally sucks me into his dark world of madness, shattered beliefs, lost love, and most of all: EVIL! I hope some of you enjoy this anywhere close to as much as I do.

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning

pentagram%20day%20of%20reckoning.jpg

1. Day of Reckoning
2. Evil Seed
3. Broken Vows
4. When the Screams Come
5. Burning Saviour
6. Madman
7. Wartime

The 70's version of Be Forewarned is one of my favorite tracks of all-time.

Also, Last Days Here was especially eerie later on when it was re-recorded considering the time of Liebling's life.

I really wanted to like this, but alas! I could only dig the odd riff here and there (such as the "BREAKDOWN!!!!" in "Day Of Reckoning", which was actually pretty damn cool). Doom metal is, in 99 cases out of 100, not just my cup of tea.

The 70's version of Be Forewarned is one of my favorite tracks of all-time.

Also, Last Days Here was especially eerie later on when it was re-recorded considering the time of Liebling's life.

What release would said re-recording be on? I've never ventured newer than Day of Reckoning... except for the Sub-Basement LP I bought for a dollar once and never listened to.

What release would said re-recording be on? I've never ventured newer than Day of Reckoning... except for the Sub-Basement LP I bought for a dollar once and never listened to.

Show Em How

Dont bother buying it though. Liebling's voice has gone so downhill after all the years of abuse that I actually cringe and feel bad when I listen to said album. It's not very good imho.

You may as well pull down my pants and jam a penis up my ass, because I'm not feelin' it.

Not that I really expected to, since I'm not much of a doom aficionado, especially classic doom. There's nothing offensive about it, and at the time, I'm sure it was pretty incredible, but it just feels so 'old' to me. 'Burning Savior' was pretty good, but if that's their high-water mark, it's not quite enough.

Neil