Recommendation: Russian Circles - Enter

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Recommendation: Russian Circles – Enter

russiancircles.jpg

1. Carpe – http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A7E612A95CC50D71
2. Micah
3. Death Rides a Horse – http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1864FD460A683CA9
4. Enter
5. You Already Did
6. New Macabre

Just like the nebulous subgenre usually referred to as Neurosis-core, doom-core, post-metal, or a mixture of the three (Capricorns, Deadbird, Isis, Knut, Minsk, Mouth of the Architect, Neurosis, Rosetta, Stand-Up Guy, among others), I can’t get my fill of instrumental post-rock either (Kenoma, Ostinato, Pelican, The Photographic, Red Sparowes, Tides, et al). Now, if you were fortunate enough to attend a recent Mono/Pelican show, then you might have already been introduced to the stellar Russian Circles, considering the three-piece opened for much of the tour. Put forth by Flameshovel, Enter basically came out of nowhere, and perhaps resembles Tides’s Resurface due to the dichotomies (light/heavy) that both albums continuously employ. Keep in mind that’s before Tides went all Isis on us on the From Silence EP. At any rate, words like catchy, energetic, and bouncy describe the promising young outfit that is bolstered by excellent musicianship. If you want a more in-depth look at Enter, however, read the review of Russian Circles’s debut below.

UM’s Review of Russian Circles – Enter
Official Russian Circles Website
Official Flameshovel Records Website

I had this recommended to me at the Mono/Pelican show I attended (where they were not on the bill)...extremely solid debut that should appeal to fans of the latter especially, and the second track you uploaded rocks like a bastard, and the songs here are busier than what you might expect from a post-rock release.

Once again a reco for the ages, Mr. Brickstone! I'm a fervent customer of Tides' "Resurface" and this band here gives me a similar melt of plodding and dragging and swaying. Purchase underway, in all likelihood.

I'm only 2 mins in to the 1st track. Holy fuck I wetted myself. Yes Yes Yes!!! This is why you check out every recommendation folks. :kickass: :worship:

Edit Part A - First track complete. Marvelous! Beginning second track. Yes Yes Yes! Godly!

Edit Part B- Consider this purchased.

these songs were almost really awesome.

Based on the comments I was hoping for something heavier. Not up to par with classic Pelican, for sure, but at least these guys have a cool thing going on. Nice grooves, they just need to settle into them more often.