Recommendation: Warlord

IOfTheStorm

Gogol Bordello
Mar 28, 2002
Athens-Greece
www.monolith.gr
It is sad that Warlord became mostly known to the average metalhead, because of the fact that Joacim Cans joined them when they were re-united. The legend of Warlord is much more than that. When Metal Blade and Brian Slagel were really digging on the metal underground and discovering some of the greatest metal bands of all times, Warlord was another band that grabbed their attention. Formed by Bill Tsamis and Mark Zonder (later to unleash his full talent on Fates Warning), Warlord is simply one of the best metal bands of all times. Combining influences from Iron Maiden, Rainbow, some Black Sabbath (with Dio mainly) and some NWOBHM, their heavy metal sound was simply magical. Warlord's music has everything: Melody, heaviness, epic and dark atmosphere, some marks of progression (because of the way they used keyboards in their music) and, the most important, tons of emotion. Their debut was the 'Deliver Us' ep, with Damien King's fragile and so sweet voice delivering an unrefined yet so sincere performance. For most of Warlord fans, this is their best release, but my favourite is their one and only full length album, 'And The Cannons Of Destruction Have Begun'. Most of the songs are in 'Deliver Us' as well, but on slightly different versions here, kinda heavier with a thicker guitar sound and a definetally better production. Both versions are full of interest though and that's why both releases are worth owning. Also the singer is different, the one singing here is simply called Damien King II, deeper voice than the first guy, but not that unique. The band did not have the success it deserved though, there was a compilation in 1986 by Metal Blade called "Thy Kingdom Come" (featuring one of the band's best songs 'Mrs Victoria' this is also in one 'Metal Massacre' collection) and sometime (i don't know exactly when) the band was no more (there was also a best of compilation later). In 1997 Metal Blade re-released 'And The Cannons...' accompanied with a vhs that shows the band performing the album in a non audience 'live' show. Most metalheads then (me as well) finally learn the band with this re-release. I can only agree with the review of the greek metal hammer back then that said that this album is as classic as 'Hail To England', 'Defenders Of The Faith' and 'The Number Of The Beast' and gave it a 10/10 (this review made me buy it of course. Few months later Hammerfall cover 'Child Of The Damned' in their debut album, and even more people learn about Warlord. Tsamis denies the thought of a Warlord reunion becayse, as he says, if it ever happens it will only be for money. Guess what...suddenly Warlord reunite with Cans on vocals. Boom goes the dynamite. Now they are lost again, but i don't care, i care that i haven't got the chance to see them live though, even with this lineup. Anyway, Warlord is one of the most legendary and mythical metal bands of all times with less than 20 (?) songs hailing from their old times, all old songs are simply CLASSIC and P-E-R-F-E-C-T. A band that every metalhead, (no matter what subgenre might be his favourite) can (and should) highly appreciate.

p.s.As you'll notice i don't count 'Rising Out Of The Ashes' and of course i don't recommend it. Prefer Lordian Guard. Other candidates for this type of rec. where Gargoyle, Apollo Ra and Vicious Rumors.

Deliver Us - 1983

Warlord - Deliver Us.jpg

1. Deliver Us From Evil
2. Winter Tears
3. Child Of The Damned
4. Penny For A Poor Man
5. Black Mass
6. Lucifer's Hammer

And The Cannons Of Destruction Have Begun - 1984

Warlord - And the Cannons of Destruction Have Begun

[FONT=&quot]1. Beginning /Lucifer's Hammer
2. Lost And Lonely Days
3. Black Mass
4. Soliloquy
5. Aliens
6. Mcmlxxxiv
7. Child Of The Damned
8. Deliver Us From Evil

Thy Kingdom Come (compilation) - 1986

23046.jpg

1. Mrs Victoria
2. Aliens
3. Child Of The Damned
4. Beginning
5. Lucifer's Hammer
6. Black Mass
7. Lost And Lonely Days
8. Soliloquy
9. Deliver Us From Evil
[/FONT] Hands And Feet (Thunderchild's Farewell)
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

It is sad that Warlord became mostly known to the average metalhead, because of the fact that Joacim Cans joined them when they were re-united

Yep. That's why my journey with Warlord started and ended about 23 minutes later.

I have NEVER understood the fascination with Hammerfall, let alone that vocalist.

OK downloading now.

Dig the first track. the "tears for all the joy we had" part sounds a bit like Rush too. I like this. Metal Archives says they're from the US...but that sounds very 80's Italian to me. Some of this song could have been lifted right out of an 80's italian movie.