Recommendations for adventure games on the PS2?

Oblivion came out for the 360 and the PS3. It's one of my favorite games, I'm actually playing it right now. Wonderful sequel to Morrowind (just as great), definitely agree with you on that one.

yea definitly man. i actually think Oblivion is better...
did you get the expansion yet? if not, get it man. it has this thing in nibben bay that leads to another realm that is not just a small sidequest, (like the knights of the nine thing). the realm/world is actually almost as big as cyrodil.
check it out if you havent, i just got it and entered it.

If you happen to find Pikmin 2 for a decent price, pick it up for me ;) The local ones in my area have mostly junky games like 10 copies of all the movie based kids games.

Damn... didn't see this before I left. I'll have a look-see next time I'm out. I didn't find Beyond Good & Evil. In fact, the closest store that has it is in Erie, PA. Fuck that... I'll wait. :lol:

I saw Beyond Good & Evil at the store in the mall where I bought the other two games today. I only happened to notice it because it was a preview tacked on to another game that I played recently... but I think it was PS2, not GameCube.

I started on Prince of Persia on the PS2... so far it's actually quite a bit of fun, but the camera angles are frustrating in some places. I find that it interferes in some of my decisions because I simply can't see where I'm supposed to be going, and I can't twitch the camera to a better spot.

It's nice that the acrobatics (particularly jumping from poles and overhead bars) don't require nearly as precise positioning as Tomb Raider - here you can just point and punch a button and continue.

I started on Prince of Persia on the PS2... so far it's actually quite a bit of fun, but the camera angles are frustrating in some places. I find that it interferes in some of my decisions because I simply can't see where I'm supposed to be going, and I can't twitch the camera to a better spot.

Weird... the PC version gives you the ability to control the camera, although not very well. Camera control is better in the other two games.

It's nice that the acrobatics (particularly jumping from poles and overhead bars) don't require nearly as precise positioning as Tomb Raider - here you can just point and punch a button and continue.

Yeah, I like that about it myself. You don't need to set up as much for tricky jumps, and you don't have to stop and walk up to ledges to avoid running off them -- your character usually grabs the edge by default. It seems like third-person adventure games are mostly going this route these days; it reduces the frustration of doing things that *should* be pretty elementary for a highly-agile player character.

I don't really remember having any issues with camera angles in PoP. That can pop up in any 3rd person I guess. But Sands of time is one of the few games I went start to finish... Just addictive game play. The fighting is just about right, you have all kinds of great moves off the walls and columns and such. I mean just getting from here to there in that game is a blast. As you move through the game the story gets really good too.

Weird... the PC version gives you the ability to control the camera, although not very well. Camera control is better in the other two games.

You *can* control the camera, but there are some points where it sticks, especially if you're in a tight corner. Frex, early on in the palace where you need to eventually find your way to the ground level, I found myself climbing up some rubble into a small nook, and the camera went waaay overhead. I could see that there were overhead bars ahead of me that I needed to reach, but there was zero depth perception at that angle, so I ended up wasting a few time reversals trying to figure out how to get there. I finally got it, but what a pain.

yes, Kenso is right about final fantasy.
but not X-2 it sucks.

FFX is good- but if your looking for depth, or more solo play, (rather than "follow the path" rpg), dont buy FFX. it gives little to no freedom in that regard. but it does have thing to solve.

however, FFXII is awesome for that, its very very open. it is also equipped with many sidequests to do, but like i said, is much more of a real life styled rpg. also has alot of thinking like FFX.

i dont know if they make this for PS2, (i know ps3 does), but Oblivion: Edler scrolls IV. its by far the most in depth and open game ive ever played. its definitly the closest a game has gotten to simulate the freedom and openess someone would actually have if the game was real.
it does have amny things you have to figure out and go about on your own. i dont know if id say puzzles, but its so indepth everything does require thinking and problem solving type mindset.

agreed but FFX is still incredible, and has the superior story line.

but one great thing about the ps2 is the ability to play ps1 games, so that nets you ff5,6,7,8,9. although 5 and 6 were ported over, they are still fun. 7, 8 are fantastic and better than the ps2 ones IMO, and 9 is fantastic too as long as you can look past the fact you are playing as tiny people haha.

but really, pick up, final fantasy 7 or 8, play it on your ps2, wont take you long to get hooked, then you can see about buying the rest of the good ones. just dont buy 11, or x-2

Oblivion came out for the 360 and the PS3. It's one of my favorite games, I'm actually playing it right now. Wonderful sequel to Morrowind (just as great), definitely agree with you on that one.

yea definitly man. i actually think Oblivion is better...

Oblivion would be better without the enemies auto-leveling up. I want the danger of wandering into an area where I'm crushed instantly. I want to feel like I've accomplished something when I go back there later and have my revenge. I don't want the champion of the Colosseum to be some little fellow with a knife if I go there too early.

ha yea it does have a great story line. sony is good with that, you can play the games on ps3 as well. im glad they did that. only problem is there is no memory card slot in PS3, so u cant play your saved ps2 games on it...have to start over.

Actually you can spend $15 to pay for an [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Memory-Card-Adaptor/dp/B000K1GZIU"]item[/ame] you will only ever need to use one time.