Recomment some hardware for new audiopc!

TimTomTum

Jan 14, 2011
Hey guys,

its Tim from Germany.
I am currently planning my new audio pc.
At the moment Im running Reaper on a Aspire 5680 Notebook using several software amps (like lepoulin lecto, xtac, the onquel stuff etc.), EZdrummer, Garritan Pro Orchestra and some synths/samplelibaries (Kore2 by NI).
In fact it is working, but only when I use like 2 Guitartracks + Ezdrummer, or GPO and Kore2. So I cant use more than like 4-5 tracks with vst effects etc.-> then it stops doing anything.
In the future I would like to use more libaries (planning to get Omnisphere and SD2.0) and run like 4 Guitars and some VSTi´s without shutting my pc down.
What I thought:
4GB RAM (or would you recomment 8GB for samples?) (~65€)
Intel I3-530 (2x2,93Ghz) (~70€)
Asrock H55M Pro (using the onboard GPU or buying a cheap one)
2 500GB HDDs (one for OS + plugins, one for Recording)
Win7 64bit

What do you think? I want to buy used (except RAM) and have a budget of 500€ (690USD, it includes ~120€ for a screen) but would glad to pay less.
Would that system manage what I plan to do?

Thank you guys,
Tim

A few suggestions.
For starters, get 1TB drives. You will probably need more than 500GB for recording + large sample libraries.
And right now, 1TB is the best value. They aren't much more than 500GB drives.

I would advise 8GB of RAM. Even if you are only using a 32-bit audio tracker, you can still utilize 4GB in the software alone in a 64-bit OS.
And Windows 7 will take up 1GB of RAM by itself. If you are using a 64-bit audio tracker, then you can access as much RAM as you can stuff in your computer...

Finally, to get the most out of your new system, you need to upgrade your guitar tone to AmpliTube 3. ;)

I'd change from the i3 to the i5.
Also, more ram, depending on if your OS can utilize it all.

and yeah, the price difference between 1tb and 500gb now is quite negligible.

And no, don't get AmpliTube 3, you're pretty set with getting good tone already ;)

Hey!

So I think I gonna go with an i3 and upgrade it to an i7 when I realize that it is not enough and when the new Sandy Bridge units are completely exchanged, so that the first generation of i7 becomes cheap on ebay :D

Due to the fact I could use 8GB of RAM with Win7 64bit, but some guys told me (they re using WAY more VSTi s and sample libaries) that even totally use 4GB, I will buy 4GB and add 2 or 4 more when its not enough.

So, I think that will go.
And I will be able to buy a new interface like a presonus firepod or somethink like that earlier.