recorded a short Metal riff last night - constructive criticism welcome

Santuzzo

Jan 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
This was just a quick take, I want to add a new harmony guitar part (there is a harmony part, but I lowered it way down in the mix since it as not quite what I wanted yet), playing is not really tight yet either.

but, what do you think of the guitar sound and drum sound?
I'm having a hard time getting a good drum sound.

Here is the link:http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=945046&songID=8690762

I'd appreciate any kinds of suggestions for improvements/criticism, I'm still a noob and need to learn :)

Thanks,
Lars

sounds like u overcompressed the whole thing...
the guitars dont sound bad, but you should try to mix it with bass to get a final guitarsound for a full mix.
im not that much a fan of the drums though^^

sounds like u overcompressed the whole thing...
the guitars dont sound bad, but you should try to mix it with bass to get a final guitarsound for a full mix.
im not that much a fan of the drums though^^

Thanks for listening and for your feedback.:)

What could I change about the drums? Wold you say the kick needs more 'click'?
I actually liked the drums except for the cymbals that sound a bit muffled as of now, and maybe indeed the snare is a bit too much compressed?

Yeah you're definitely compressing the whole mix too much. It makes the guitar sound like its being sucked by a hoover. I'd pan your guitars more extremely as well maybe 66% left and 66% right, that's if you even double tracked which I can't tell if you did or not. The guitar tone is actually nice, once you've panned/or double tracked you'll be able to knock up the volume of the guitars without losing any punch in the drums. Then just ease of on the compression and it'll be sounding much better.

Yeah you're definitely compressing the whole mix too much. It makes the guitar sound like its being sucked by a hoover. I'd pan your guitars more extremely as well maybe 66% left and 66% right, that's if you even double tracked which I can't tell if you did or not. The guitar tone is actually nice, once you've panned/or double tracked you'll be able to knock up the volume of the guitars without losing any punch in the drums. Then just ease of on the compression and it'll be sounding much better.

Thanks for your feedback !:)

There is 4 guitars on the track, two of which are very soft in the mix, though, but the other two I actually panned I think something like 70R and 70L, IIRC.

I still need to learn how to use (and thus not to 'over-use') the compressor, hence all these tips and the advice I get here is very welcome and helpful!:)