Recorded raw guitar tones as guidance ?

niko_france

New Metal Member
Apr 29, 2014
Hi Guys !

Long-time lurker of this board, I learnt a lot of things from you, thanks for this and all knowledge sharing !

Now, I’m in the process of refining/redifining my guitar tones on my Axe FX II and I’m getting lost in my targets…

I’m used to do post-processing for mix (EQ and so) but I may have lost what can be a typical good basic tone for recorded guitars !
Targeted style would be generally metal.

I’m fully on the “less gain” thing but finding a good IR will drastically impact the tone on mid range or so and I find myself running after kind of “already-processed” tone.
I want something more “real” now as starting point.

So, I’d like to know if you could share some good pointers of raw guitar tones ?
I usually can face DIs but it’s not answering my point :)
A lot of examples would for sure give me some ideas.

So, any help/guidance/sharing is very welcome

Cheers !

I'm not sure what you're looking for niko. Do you want raw sounding impulses or recorded examples of raw tones to use as references?

I'm not sure what you're looking for niko. Do you want raw sounding impulses or recorded examples of raw tones to use as references?

Hi Tedtan !
Sorry if I'm not really clear, english is not my 1st language :)

I'm looking for recorded examples of raw tones to use as references, with no effects applied

That would be perfect !

Thanks Burny !
Yes that would be this idea :)

If you can guide me on some examples that sound best to you (from your experience, when mixed after that, to sit in a mix etc), that's perfect !

This guys has some nice comparisons with miked raw tones

Last edited by a moderator: