Guitar tones: So hard to commit to one!

I've had way more luck avoiding the solo button and only cutting things that you can really hear causing problems. same goes for all kinds of things but its quite amazing how much can be left alone in the context of a mix. having lots of cuts that aren't necessary can really make a mix weird.

what's kind of weird is since really focusing on not soloing tracks, I find myself doing huge top end boosts to things like OH and hi hats which I never used to do, but in fact is definitely needed. listening to things with a lot of hi frequency information can trick the brain into thinking its unbalanced/bright/thin/harsh/annoying when its just because its not in context. That's not to say some frequencies need cutting, but for me at least, its been a far better way to work.

Well I do the very first EQ moves in solo going thourgh all the track and just removing anything that really bothers me as soon as I listen to the track, but yeah then I do pretty much all the eq in context as It is what will be heard in the end!

I love using the fab filter pro q for notching out annoying frequencies, because I tend to over do it at first and then I can use the gain scale adjustment to back everything off.

I'm a prolific last minute reamper =]
A lot of the time when mixing, I will get the mix to the point of being nearly mixed then quickly flip through a bunch of heads and cabs and find the one that sits in best and reamp. What I am looking for is the amp and cab that will sit into the mix with the least amount of eq.
Since I always do an album in one session, it's easy to merge the DI tracks for rhythm guitar 2 and copy it onto the timeline after rhythm guitar 1 then hit record and take a break for twice the length of the project then continue mixing.

Reactions: Phil_ocean