Recording Drop Bb guitars - tips needed

Oscar NWB

Trust your ears
Hello,

I am relatively new to such low tunnings, and my bandmates observed my recorded guitar tone now feels congested and less defined. My setup is as follows:

ESP Eclipse (JB/Jazz) + BB Preamp (as a boost, optional) + Dual Recto Reborn + Marshall 4x12 cab (V30s) + Shure sm57 + Focusrite Scarlett + Reaper

I would appreciate any tips including amp gain/eq settings suggested, mic positioning, etc.

I am currently favoring mic placement halfway between center and speaker limit, moderate output level, CH3 Modern (pots mostly centered).

Very best and thanks in advance,
Oscar

A few suggestions,

1. Check tuning every 5 seconds. lol
2. Perhaps pulling the mic closer to the center of the speaker to kill some lows and get more highs?
3. Scoop some low mids?
4. Compress the low mids with a multi band compressor?

Just some ideas.

\m/

Are you doing any post EQ in Reaper?

I find Rectifiers really weird to dial in a good recorded tone.

IMO, they also need a boost in front to sound tight.

- NEW, thick strings. If they don't have the metallic "zing" then change them.
- With Rectos, it helps to boost them (with a Tube Screamer or something similar that will tighten the lows, NOT a normal clean boost) going in and dial the gain on the amp back. Also, remember that boosting the treble knob on a Recto will boost the gain too. Play with the different combinations to get the best balance of definition and gain.
- Dig in when you play, and know how to punch those strings to pull the notes through the distortion. You can get a lot of definition by just focusing on it when you're tracking. Understanding this as a player can make a HUGE improvement in your tone.
- Dial back the low mids a bit. Don't rely on the guitars to sound huge on their own - HUGE sounding recordings come from the guitar, bass, and kick/snare carrying the load together.

Swap JB for Distortion, and use the heaviest strings you can realistically play, baritone strings if you can handle them. I can't remember the exact guage I am using on my guitar in this tuning, but I will let you know if I find out.

I am 95% sure this is what I am using

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XL157/

Also, Rectos are difficult to dial and even more difficult to teach, I used to own one. If you want, you can send me some DIs, and I can run them through my reamping rig and then we can decide if the guitar is part of the problem or not.

Using a 27" scale guitar would help a lot with the tuning. With it you can get away using lighter gauge strings and still get the needed tension, which gives really good note definition.

+1 too using an extended scale instrument, swapping the JB out for something with less strange low mids and using a boost that tightens the low end.

Start from the beginning of the chain and after that experiment with amp settings and mic positions.

Never had any luck with 24'75 necks and low tunings. Not even with the set Jake suggested. Problems with intonation and lack of definition most of the times.

The JB...well, depends on the sound dialed in, and the player. It's one of those pickups that you have to really dig in.

- NEW, thick strings. If they don't have the metallic "zing" then change them.
- With Rectos, it helps to boost them (with a Tube Screamer or something similar that will tighten the lows, NOT a normal clean boost) going in and dial the gain on the amp back. Also, remember that boosting the treble knob on a Recto will boost the gain too. Play with the different combinations to get the best balance of definition and gain.
- Dig in when you play, and know how to punch those strings to pull the notes through the distortion. You can get a lot of definition by just focusing on it when you're tracking. Understanding this as a player can make a HUGE improvement in your tone.
- Dial back the low mids a bit. Don't rely on the guitars to sound huge on their own - HUGE sounding recordings come from the guitar, bass, and kick/snare carrying the load together.

+1 to all this, it's a bitch to make low tunings work on shorter scale guitars but it's not impossible. I've been using a bass string (.67) for the low B on a Les Paul; you have to pick harder but it's worth it if you're not playing extremely fast stuff