Recording drums friday... tips?

Drums came out really nice! soon i will post a clip...

Now its time to edit the tracks... and a question rises: How do you mix blast beats? the fast ones where the volume drops a lot... our snare cannot be entirely triggered by the way because there are many dynamics going on that cannot be supressed...
Don't take this as a douche-y response, but do you all have Trigger? I've heard it responses to blast beats fairly well.

And by "How do you mix blast beats?" did you actually mean mix them to be heard or edit them with all the bleed going on?

Drums came out really nice! soon i will post a clip...

Now its time to edit the tracks... and a question rises: How do you mix blast beats? the fast ones where the volume drops a lot... our snare cannot be entirely triggered by the way because there are many dynamics going on that cannot be supressed...

What about just triggering only the blast beat section

topsoul182 said:

Yep. Augment a sample of you snare underneath, to hold the ryhtem. Then the actual snare will act as a dynamic so it wot sound as automated.

imho the wrong approach. how should you become better and gather experience if you choose the "easy way"? sure, the end-result may doesen`t sound as "good" and "clear" if he track real drums for the first few times. but over time, you will become better, because you learn all these little things the hard way (reading and learning the on the internet is nice, but practise-it is a complet different story!)

i`m a newbie at recording, and doing my first record at the moment (real human-players ;)). i did so much worng but learned soo much. these experiences are unpayable.

but thats just my opinion. :)

cheers!

ps. sorry for the bad english

I'm not a newbie; my own professional, informed opinion was to program drums and mic cymbals. I record drums all the time but on the last record I did, I went the V-drums with cymbals route. First time I'd done it but it turned out pretty good (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1041607/BL_The Struggle_V2.mp3)

You are right that you have to start somewhere but definitely not on a project where you WILL TRIGGER TO FUCK. To fuck. 100% of the time. If it were chilled rock/indie/folk (which I produce loads of - way more than I do with metal) then I would say do real drums and spend ages getting the drums sounding right and the mics in the right position.

PS - you're English is pretty awesome.

Though in a sense you're right, you won't get any better at tuning/micing and generally recording drums if you just choose to program them every time due to lack of experience.

For "Gojira, Oceano, Whitechapel drum sound" I'd probably program if I were still a novice. Chances are you will use the original drum sound sparingly - snare rolling at the most - even if you're a seasoned veteran. But yeh you're definitey right - real drums destroy programmed and if I were in the studio and not at my place - I would record real drums even for extreme metal. Its too much fun not too. Fuck boring midi and lame velocities and all that.

Post a clip of the drums - definitely interested in hearing it and giving you feedback man :kickass:

Originally Posted by topsoul182

Yep. Augment a sample of you snare underneath, to hold the ryhtem. Then the actual snare will act as a dynamic so it wot sound as automated.

Yes, that is probably what i will end up doing... but i will love to see some examples. Something im using right now is waves trans x it also helps a lot...
Also, what about just bringing up the volume in the fast blast beats (just the snare). It will also bring up the cymbals bleed but... maybe is worth it

Tonigh the drummer will come by to start editing the first track, soon as i have it i will post it!

Here goes drums for track 1 with a demo track also of the rest of the instruments....

Remember this is just the edition stage, we corrected some kick mistakes and rhythm inconsistency . At 1:45 you can hear a gravity blast that is unedited, so the volume drops a lot... well, it will be the job of the person who mix/master this to make it sound good!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22454203/Emisario%20del%20horror%20bateria%20c_pista%20demo.mp3

The only thing i done here regarding mix is to put a kick sample on the kick (see if you recognize which is it...), triggered the snare 50% with a sample of the drummers snare, put waves trans x on toms and snare, EQ the Oh (low pass at 500hz), panned the Oh (i forgot to pan the toms!) and thats about it, a vintage warmer on toms (mid compression preset)... the goal of this being to make everything audible so we could edit it.

A question that occurred to me: how do you guys pan the toms? (this kit has 4, 2 rack and 2 floor)

A question that occurred to me: how do you guys pan the toms? (this kit has 4, 2 rack and 2 floor)

Listen to where the toms appear in the overheads and pan them to match that. I find that using the audio from when I'm taking samples makes this easiest as there's not a bunch of other stuff going on.
Mute and unmute the close mic and you'll be able to easily hear if the tom pulls left/right when you unmute it. Adjust the pan until the tom sits in the same place in the stereo image with just the overheads as it does when you add in the spot mic.