Recording drums with mics, not triggers

Goodfellas453

Always The Understudy Vox
May 12, 2011
Temecula CA
www.facebook.com
how many of you guys do use mics instead of triggers or programming? next question is after tracking just drum mics, during quantizing do you quantize the audio then make kick snare toms midi? or make midi then quantize to grid? i have logic and am learning about the flex tool for an "elastic audio" type tool that protools has

If you charge like I do you have to be very fast and efficient. I just throw the drum set up and take the front head off the kick and the bottom heads off the toms. Then I moon gel the hell out of the toms and snare. Mic up the toms and the kick really close to the head so you get a punchy signal and the gel helps overtones. Then I mic and trigger the snare and put a heavy pillow against the batter head of the kick drum. Then I use trigger or drumagog and replace all the drums and just keep the cymbals with the overheads, etc. Most important is to lock all tracks together and edit as a group. This gets good results and is fast. Now if you charge huge amounts of money and have the time to mess around with drum tuning, mic position, tones, etc....then go balls out and mic the kit.