Recording + Linux?

Deus.exe

BBQ!!!
Dec 23, 2005
Cologne, Germany
www.myspace.com
Hey guys.

I stumbled across somthing interesting over at digg.com. It's Linux distro for "Creative Professionals" using 64bit CPUs called 64 studio. Has anyone here tried it out?

They say that their aim is to become the open source alternative to Pro-Tools, Cubase, Logic, DP, et al. Even though the last few SuSE and Debian distros (which this is based on) have had relatively descent support for RME and Envy24 cards I can kind of still see problems with other assorted Audio and MIDI hardware for this to be any real alternative.

Then there is also the issue of plug-ins. They don't mention if they will support rtas or vst.

It is in alpha though so I might give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a test run a bit later.

This is interesting, I'll be eager to see where this project is in a year. I want to believe in Linux, but it's got some major hurdles to overcome.

Ardour is a part of the 64 Studio distro. I've tried to run it on my SuSE machine at work but the JACK (Audio connection and bussing interface) refused to work no matter what.
It looks great but I've yet to make it function so I can't really tell if it up to scratch or not.

I think Linux isn't ready yet for serious audio work. Once every while I install an up to date distro and fool around with the latest version of ardour and rosegarden and whatnot. But for any serious work it just doesn't cut it (yet). And of course there's the issue of plugins like Deus said. They really have to create some kind of VST plugin wrapper or something.

Tym_ex said:
I think Linux isn't ready yet for serious audio work. Once every while I install an up to date distro and fool around with the latest version of ardour and rosegarden and whatnot. But for any serious work it just doesn't cut it (yet). And of course there's the issue of plugins like Deus said. They really have to create some kind of VST plugin wrapper or something.

There's an "open" API, similar to DXi/VST, which I think will be supported in the upcomming versions of Cubase, Protools, Logic, Digital Performer and etc. It's called LADPSA (Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API). You've got a free audio recording software for windows that already uses this and others APIs (Application Programming Interface) for windows

http://www.ladpsa.org

http://audacity.sf.net

My views on why DAWs linux based will not work stable enough is majorly due to the client/server model of X/X.org, which makes the X-windowing system b e extremely slow. Otherwise, provided you've got a supported soundcard, you're free to go.

Nostalgiaplatz said:
There's an "open" API, similar to DXi/VST, which I think will be supported in the upcomming versions of Cubase, Protools, Logic, Digital Performer and etc.
Call me crazy, but I don't see Digidesign, MOTU, or any of those companies for that matter adopting an open standard, especially one geared towards Linux. Digidesign especially - they know the big money comes from the pro studios, and this whole Linux audio thing isn't anywhere close to ready for pro studios to give it a second thought. Just my two cents.