Recording Nuno Bettencourt (or similar styled player)

Vicioushead

Jan 29, 2012
Ireland
How would recording a player such as Nuno be approached? His rhythm style is very busy with alot of lead parts thrown in here and there. It seems like double tracking something as varied as some of his parts would be very difficult. Would the rhythm be double tracked or is there some other trickery at work?

Anyone have any insight?

maybe split the signal and mic up two different amps, record in stereo for the main takes

then go in after and do small thickening overdubs to each side in some spots?

If the player is as good as all that he should be good enough to double track all his parts consistently but if its a more free form style of playing and meant to be really loose & vibey, maybe the above could be one method

Nice playing man!!!

With a great tone you should be able to do as SkinnyViking said. Just double track it and treat it as a rythm track. Although the track you posted more like a solo-melody kind of stuff and then it should be treated more like a solo guitar of course. Some amps can sound both amazingly for rythm and solo guitar so there is no need to change the amp for the different parts of the song. Amps that would work Peavey JSX or the Mesa Mark series, both sound very modern and can get you to smooth solo heaven :)7

And if the player would like for his solo's to really stick out from the rythm playing i would recommend to switch guitar with totally different pickups then changing amp. That could make allot more difference with this type of playing.

Nice playing man!!!

With a great tone you should be able to do as SkinnyViking said. Just double track it and treat it as a rythm track. Although the track you posted more like a solo-melody kind of stuff and then it should be treated more like a solo guitar of course. Some amps can sound both amazingly for rythm and solo guitar so there is no need to change the amp for the different parts of the song. Amps that would work Peavey JSX or the Mesa Mark series, both sound very modern and can get you to smooth solo heaven :)7

And if the player would like for his solo's to really stick out from the rythm playing i would recommend to switch guitar with totally different pickups then changing amp. That could make allot more difference with this type of playing.

Thanks dude! :D

I was in no way comparing myself to Nuno! I could only dream to be anywhere near as good as a guy like that! I was just thinking about his style the other night after listening to some Van Halen and it occurred to me that Eddie probably didn't double track his stuff - I could be completely wrong of course! Listening to some of Nuno's stuff it seems like it would be *really* hard to nail some of those parts but hey, they guy is a beast so it's likely that HE could!

I was posing the question in relation to some of my own recordings in terms of long widdly unison lines. Sorta wondering if I should double track them or play them on a lead channel.

So much to learn!