recording tomorrow, i have a few questions

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Doing vocals tomorrow, nothing too serious just making a demo. I just got a AKG perception 220 for free from AKG cause my perception 200 broke (which i got for free from a friend :) ) SOOOO should i use my perception 220 or beta 58a for vocals? They are death metal vocals and i do have a pop filter. Just curious cause i really like how to perception 220 sounds but i just wanted to see what others think

If you like the sound of the AKG than use the AKG. It really depends on what is going to sound the best and work best for the performer. It'd definitely be worth trying both. I have sometimes tracked with a 58 and had it turn out better than any of my other mics because the singer was more comfortable using the 58. Experiment and see which works best for the singers voice.

the beta might be a better choice just cause you can let the dude hold it and he'll feel better and perform better. but try them both, takes 5 minutes. use whichever sounds better. depends totally on the vocalist, they're both perfectly fine choices.

here is a song of the vocals with the mic

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113488/New Song With Vocals.mp3

i think the highs came out really well but the lows seem like they have a really harsh frequency that i cant get rid of. This mix is really rough btw, its just a scratch so we could bang out the vocals before everything so dont really judge that.

Vocal chain is AKG perception 220 ( pop filter in front ) profire 610 interface, EQ, d-esser, two compressors (4:1 on both) and some reverb and a hint of delay. I have never had much luck with mixing vocals so any help would be appreciated =D