Recording your own band

GearMan2point0

Musician/Engineer
Feb 13, 2011
Is it fair to charge your own band to record them when the end result is a good product? Caleb Shomo when he recorded Attack Attack, do you think he charged the band to record them? Is this reasonable?

Personally, I wouldn't charge my own band for recording unless they were paying you to be in the band, as I wouldn't really think of it as doing work for someone else where you would get paid for your services, rather than working on your OWN projects/material and being apart of the creative process. Just my take.

It's almost a requirement these days to have someone in the band capable of recording. I feel it's just part of being in a band these days, like the above guy said if you don't charge for playing your instrument then I don't think you should charge to record. (It builds your portfolio anyways.)

I remember someone here saying that you should always get paid for that kind of work. Even if it is just a tiny amount it can help the members focus on playing their parts rather than fooling around.

If Caleb got paid it was out of a recording budget provided by the label.

Are you signed? Do you have a recording budget? Of course you should use the recording budget to pay for your time/services/expertise.

Are you an unsigned band? Then sorry, but you'd be a dick to charge your band and it wouldn't be in the bands best interest.

I guess I have been taken advantage of on various accounts to where I was recording for several bands and was never paid. I've learned I should charge straight up before the process even begins but whatever. Now with my new band, I had the thought of charging a bit of money off CD sales but still make it so the band still gains profit and we can still re order more too. Plus some money set aside to add to the studio so the next album sounds better/different than the last.

Having done this a ton in unsigned and signed bands my opinion is this: If there is money you deserve some and more of it then the guy who does maybe one days work in the whole process (there is at least one in every band). Maybe it's labor in trade for needed gear though. Ultimately, unless your band is pretty big you will get hosed in the deal but the same rules about compensation don't apply because it's your own project. I'd rather work for my band for $.10/hour then let the product suffer. Just don't tell my bandmates that.

I remember someone here saying that you should always get paid for that kind of work. Even if it is just a tiny amount it can help the members focus on playing their parts rather than fooling around.

this +1000.
i usually do it at a highy discounted rate. but instead of putting the money in my own pocket, it goes to the band bank account.
If there is no money involved, musicans can become fucking lazy and doesnt practice properly... "oh sorry today is not my day, lets try it the next weekend" NEVER AGAIN! :fu:

If I were to charge my band to record it would be to only improve the recording.
Spent only on gear and not on pizza or something.

Franks comment reminds me - see if they'll pitch in for something like a nice mic or preamp that would improve the recording quality but also benefit you. That way everyone gets a better product and you only spend 1/5 (or whatever) of what you would've.

I wouldn't, but I have thought about it. After (still am!) tracking 9 songs for my own bands first album, I've learned that it's a total fucking pain in the ass. Trying to produce and making suggestions to better the song as a whole while other members bitch about "why do you gotta change shit?!" fucking KILLS me!

This is the quota I gave them and they seem pretty happy with it!
"PRODUCING RATES

$10/song + 50% of profits AFTER re-upping CD's goes toward Studio Equipment updates 20% goes to me, and 30% goes to band profit.

QUOTA EXAMPLE!
"Believe In" Demo! $10/song = $40 up front
Total Cost: $40 for production

Vinyl Sleeves (100): $130
Total Cost: $170 out of pocket for overall CD

At $3 per Demo CD sold
Total Revenue: $300
Re-upping CD's: - $130

Total Profits: $170

- 50% - Studio Equipment Advancement (updating studio equipment)
Total: $85 with $85 left

- 30% - Band Profits
Total: $51

- 20% - Dustin Profits
Total: $34"

This is the recording off that demo --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/cat7w4qo7wn8o3j/01 Believe In.mp3

**Sorry it's a download, I wish Dropbox didn't get rid of the public folder. Oh well, free download for you guys anyway lol!

Franks comment reminds me - see if they'll pitch in for something like a nice mic or preamp that would improve the recording quality but also benefit you. That way everyone gets a better product and you only spend 1/5 (or whatever) of what you would've.

I may actually strongly consider this idea! I could use some monitors =P

I wouldn't, but I have thought about it. After (still am!) tracking 9 songs for my own bands first album, I've learned that it's a total fucking pain in the ass. Trying to produce and making suggestions to better the song as a whole while other members bitch about "why do you gotta change shit?!" fucking KILLS me!

Being in a band sucks most of the time. Especially if u're the guy who write and record all the songs and someone in the band who knows shit about songwriting complains that the song has too much riffs/breakdown and that it should be chords through the whole song...

If they are the kind of people that don't react well to criticism or change, my guess is that if they'd pay you they'd also feel like they "own" you, and would react even more bitchy about changes on your part.

I haven't charged my band for any of the recording work that I've done, I'd only do it if we'd have a budget up front (from a label or whatever).
The "investing" in a better piece of equipment to record with sound like a nice idea though.

In my experiance recording my own band for free, I just get constantly let down cause the members don't take it seriously.Either someone won't show up,the strings will be aincient, they won't know their parts well enough and decide to "wing it" or the singer won't have lyrics written/memorised and have to do them last minute.

Why not charge them to record and put the money back in the band or give them it back after recording is finished? They will be more reliable if they have paid, and twice as reliable if they know they can get the money back.

Edit: Apologise k.h.e. I believe I've just repeated what you haha.

I joke around with my band about this seeing as I pretty much record everything haha.

If they complain about anything, just remind them of all that you do. ;)

If Caleb got paid it was out of a recording budget provided by the label.

Are you signed? Do you have a recording budget? Of course you should use the recording budget to pay for your time/services/expertise.

Are you an unsigned band? Then sorry, but you'd be a dick to charge your band and it wouldn't be in the bands best interest.

I'm just going to +1 these. I recorded an unsigned band I'm very good friends with - I often help out and run FOH for them etc. -, and didn't really feel good about charging money from it. So they decided to buy me an SM7B and I used it to record the album with, and everyone was happy.

I'm just recording the first release for a band that I also play guitar and write songs (together with our other guitarist) in. So far, we've only tracked drums, and it was a pleasant surprise that it was the exact opposite of what some of you guys have experienced. New, well-tuned heads on all shells and songs rehearsed so well that we tracked everything in probably around 4 to 5 hours in total. With the other members though, there have been similar problems with motivation, but I guess we'll see when we hit their tracking dates. I would feel a dick for charging for it and won't; you just kind of have to accept that the workload is completely unbalanced, and that the other members in the band probably won't understand even though you explain. Until maybe after the release is finished.