recordlabel search

Koi

Dec 5, 2005
Gbg sweden
www.myspace.com
So we are about to start sending our stuff to recordlabels and ask for advice since we stumble on unknown territory, this is absolutely not for self promoting reasons so it would be very kind of you samsara to keep it up, but if it's not okay, you can throw this into the own stuff thread, thx.

We are after years of preparing eager to take the step further now, so if there's any streetwise people out there willing to hand a few tips, we would be more than grateful.

First of all, do you think a teaser is a good way to go, or should we send whole songs?
The thought behind is that we get to reveal all sides of us in a short time, since i've heard a few times that they only listen like a minute, and if it's not interesting they move on to the next demo.
Are there other things you should think about when doing this?
And if you do think this overview is a good idea, any tips regarding it?

Thanks in advance.

here is the teaser...or whatever you call it:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say it'd be a good idea, if you're trying to appeal to record label.. To send 'teaser' track.. And give them a fairly 'to the point' summary of your band.. Your style, themes and influences.. And make sure there's plenty of contact details.

If you were to send whole songs, it'd be wise to put them onto a cd.. And post them to yourself - sounds odd.. But it should arrive with a date on it from the post office. Leave it in there, take some photos if you want, and put it somewhere safe. This gives you a very basic form of copyright, so if you were to send off whole songs to record labels.. Hear nothing from them, then randomly start hearing your music being played by someone else or without you consenting to anything.. You have some sort of dated evidence to prove you wrote it. Even better, if you have the sheet music or tabs for the songs, post them to yourself in the same letter.

I severely doubt this would happen.. I doubt they'd consider it worth their time trying to fuck you over like that.. But you always hear the horror stories and i know of a couple of people who have been fucked over in similar ways.

So yes.. I'd recommend just sending a teaser track, showcasing the variety of your music and also some of your best moments, along with a basic biography of the band.. And plenty of ways to contact you ahaha.

If you were to send whole songs, it'd be wise to put them onto a cd.. And post them to yourself - sounds odd.. But it should arrive with a date on it from the post office. Leave it in there, take some photos if you want, and put it somewhere safe. This gives you a very basic form of copyright, so if you were to send off whole songs to record labels.. Hear nothing from them, then randomly start hearing your music being played by someone else or without you consenting to anything.. You have some sort of dated evidence to prove you wrote it. Even better, if you have the sheet music or tabs for the songs, post them to yourself in the same letter.

Yes, that is the best idea, remember to NOT open it when you receive it in the mail. Also, if you want to send whole songs, you should pick your 3 favorite, but no more than that. Make sure each of these songs are diferent from one another for a general feel of what the band plays. The songs should also be shorter songs. Record companies fly through submitted demos because so many bands send them in.

Good luck!!

I'd say it'd be a good idea, if you're trying to appeal to record label.. To send 'teaser' track.. And give them a fairly 'to the point' summary of your band.. Your style, themes and influences.. And make sure there's plenty of contact details.

I severely doubt this would happen.. I doubt they'd consider it worth their time trying to fuck you over like that.. But you always hear the horror stories and i know of a couple of people who have been fucked over in similar ways.

So yes.. I'd recommend just sending a teaser track, showcasing the variety of your music and also some of your best moments, along with a basic biography of the band.. And plenty of ways to contact you ahaha.

i never even thought about copyrighting until now, that's horrible o_O

yeh, i kept it pretty simple, but informal:

We are Koi

Here’s a quick overview of our fairly complex sound, that ranges
from metal to pop/rock, from prog to ambient, from theatrical
to symphonic with both simple and advanced song structures.

The material has been recorded within a couple of years with
home equipment by ourselves, so the quality alters.
We believe that the music itself has a lot more potential than
the recordings allow.

Besides this we have around five hours (approximately 50 songs)
of pretty much equally qualified unrecorded material
that we’ve been writing and improving since 2001,
when we first started out as a band.
We now feel prepared and eager to take the step further.

Thanks for the consideration.

Yes, that is the best idea, remember to NOT open it when you receive it in the mail. Also, if you want to send whole songs, you should pick your 3 favorite, but no more than that. Make sure each of these songs are diferent from one another for a general feel of what the band plays. The songs should also be shorter songs. Record companies fly through submitted demos because so many bands send them in.

Good luck!!

With regards to the letter you'll send them, I'd treat it a bit like a CV/Resumé, focus completely on your good points. Try and sell yourself completely, and don't focus on any bad bits i.e. recording quality. This is a demo from an unsigned band, the record label isn't going to be expecting a professionally mastered recording.

With regards to the letter you'll send them, I'd treat it a bit like a CV/Resumé, focus completely on your good points. Try and sell yourself completely, and don't focus on any bad bits i.e. recording quality. This is a demo from an unsigned band, the record label isn't going to be expecting a professionally mastered recording.

good point, thx.