I hope this isn't spam, it isn't Opeth and it is music...

RDreamer

Assassin of Love
Oct 12, 2005
Oregon
My band now has a myspace page! We have a small bio and three songs from our demo up on the site. Now, this isn't really metal and it is our first demo/recording effort EVER so I can't say I'm exactly happy with the sound. We're much better musicians now than we were even when we recorded this. However, it is still pretty good stuff as far as I'm concerned, and it's my baby so I want you all to see and hear it. In case you were wondering, I'm the singer.

Since this is the Opeth forum, I fully expect you clowns to rip it to shreds but hopefully I can get a little bit of love too.

www.myspace.com/outofdarknessband

Tyler

First thing I noticed: The vocals are really bad. Other than that, seeing as we all have to remember about music being 'subjective' these days, I'll just say that it doesnt fulfil my music taste requirements.

that was really quite awful. the drummer sounds like a metronome due to such a lack of variance in the fills. the vocals are on par with a band i might hear playing at a bowling alley bar one night. the riffs (yea...both of them) were both extremely boring and monotonous. and your guys' image is completely nonexistent...you look like a bunch of meat-heads gathered for monday night football. get some energy and charisma.

Um this band likes lots of fries with their orders dont they?

1081798628_m.jpg

Geez, I thought you guys might shit on it, but that's pretty harsh indeed. However, in a sense I agree with you on some of it, because as a music listener it does seem to lack quite a bit. I just wanted some feedback from you guys.

Tne thing I will say, we've been working on new stuff that is much better. These are early songs we wrote a long time ago. We've been adding more progressive elements to it, and more dynamic riffs. The next batch of songs are real heavy and I can sing them better. I wrote the early songs without a real understanding of my strengths/weaknesses as a vocalist (I'd never sang before starting the band) and so a lot of it was too ambitious and strained. The newer stuff is exactly where I need to be. So, hopefully it will turn out better.

I'm not really happy with the mix either. I'm gonna try to get one of our other songs up there, the best one in my opinion, as I really don't like two of the ones we've got on the site at the moment.

For some reason, our recording does not particularly grasp the energy or essence of who we really are. I'm not sure if it was because that was our first recording, or if it's just my voice sucking or what. In the live shows we have done we have always been very, very well received.

In any case, I will try to get that other song up, maybe you'll like it. And we'll keep working and try to sound better. As I said, it isn't metal, and there's not much shredding, but I will try to be more creative and unique.

Here's some advice. Write the music you would love to hear.

I can't imagine if you guys heard those same songs written by another band you would like them.

Keep at it.

RDreamer: at the end of the day, theres no formula you should follow. Go where your HEART tells you. Its your personalities which need to drive the music.