"Recreation Day" is everything I've ever wanted out of music and more!

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Today I was one of the lucky few who was able to listen to the new Evergrey album in its entirity at http://www.seismicradio.com Unfortunately, many who wanted to listen to the album were denied due to the "maximum listeners" cap. Fortunately, DJ Zero Hour will be playing the album again next Saturday at 4 PM EST. I can't wait for that! And I don't know how I will wait until March to finally have my own copy of this masterpiece.

Once the opening riff of "The Great Deceiver" came knifing through my computer speakers, my jaw literally hit the floor. I had experienced a sense of joy and excitement known very few times in my life. Brutal, insanely heavy, yet beautiful.... aggressive, technical, crisp, razor sharp.... this song just blew me away. As did the rest of the album. Every song was a magnificent composition. This is album is HEAVIER and MORE MELODIC. Tom's vocals sound different... he is using a higher range... he is more versatile... and he sounds amazing. The riffs pummel and clutch your soul... the keyboards can be warm and lush, or cold, icy and calculating... every song builds to an incredible climax... the choruses are genius... each song has great transitions and unexpected twists... this is a rich, multi-faceted, ornate work that will grip the listener for countless listens...

Evergrey has expanded its musical palette as well with the haunting acoustic piece "Madness Caught Another Victim" and the morose cover of Dilba's "I'm Sorry"...

Evergrey definately have a masterpiece on their hands... it shall be exciting to see where this work takes them...

Thank you, Evergrey... for creating a musical work that excited me to no end.

Great review...some early highlights:

- The keyboard solo on End Of Your Days
- chorus of Recreation Day
- the melodic solo, outro riff and organ coda on Visions
- chorus on Blinded
- chanted vocals on Fragments
- acoustic lead on Madness...
- prechorus, chorus, and Carina's solo spot on Drakest Hour
- keyboards and vocals on Unforgivable Sin

Agreed. Everything that I heard was awesome, but The Great Deceiver and Recreation Day really stood out for me. They are (awesome)^3.

I agree - totally kick ass!! I love the vocals especially ... Tom sounds different, but so damn good!!! And the female vocals, again, Cariina, just awesome! You go girl ...

Can't wait to get the CD! :)

Sounded like a really great album!! I just think that the vocals sounded more emotional on the previous album. But for the rest: great, especially the great deceiver. I made a stream recording so I'll be listening the album until it comes out, I'll get it!!

Originally posted by Bad Girl Tess
Tom sounds different
yep......especially during the first track I would have hardly recognized him if I hadn't known it was him! I think one does have to get used to it by listening to the album a couple of times, that's all.

I have an advance of the album and I think it is very killer also... probably their best, most mature effort to date. Evergrey are masters at the off time tempo without going overboard on the song's arrangement, most of the solos are mindnumbing (the opening of "End Of Your Days" especially) and Tom really continue to become a vocal expert, pushing every emotion out of his voice.

This one will get significant airplay from now to eternity...

Matt

http://www.truemetal.org/snakepit

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
Today I was one of the lucky few who was able to listen to the new Evergrey album in its entirity at http://www.seismicradio.com Unfortunately, many who wanted to listen to the album were denied due to the "maximum listeners" cap. Fortunately, DJ Zero Hour will be playing the album again next Saturday at 4 PM EST. I can't wait for that! And I don't know how I will wait until March to finally have my own copy of this masterpiece.

Once the opening riff of "The Great Deceiver" came knifing through my computer speakers, my jaw literally hit the floor. I had experienced a sense of joy and excitement known very few times in my life. Brutal, insanely heavy, yet beautiful.... aggressive, technical, crisp, razor sharp.... this song just blew me away. As did the rest of the album. Every song was a magnificent composition. This is album is HEAVIER and MORE MELODIC. Tom's vocals sound different... he is using a higher range... he is more versatile... and he sounds amazing. The riffs pummel and clutch your soul... the keyboards can be warm and lush, or cold, icy and calculating... every song builds to an incredible climax... the choruses are genius... each song has great transitions and unexpected twists... this is a rich, multi-faceted, ornate work that will grip the listener for countless listens...

Evergrey has expanded its musical palette as well with the haunting acoustic piece "Madness Caught Another Victim" and the morose cover of Dilba's "I'm Sorry"...

Evergrey definately have a masterpiece on their hands... it shall be exciting to see where this work takes them...

Thank you, Evergrey... for creating a musical work that excited me to no end.

Oh really now, if they're so good, how come they aren't winning any awards for shit huh? Go drink your blood and kill your chickens, metalboy! You just wanna be different. "OOH OOOH LOOK AT MEE LOOK AT MEEEEE I'M SPECIAL!!!". Truly sad and pathetic.

Above all the guitar work, the choruses, Tom's vocs, I look forward to Carina.

She has one of my favorite female voices out there, and after seeing 'for every tear that falls' I completely fell in love with her.

Mr. Englund is a lucky man.