Red Baron

Actually I've considered Iced Earth's lyrics great,especially on Dark Saga and Something Wicked.
I just don't think that Jon can give the lyrics the same kinda feeling as in a very emotional concept like Dark Saga or in individual songs as on Something Wicked...and man the lyrics on Burnt Offerings had AGRESSION.
There are far more cheesier things than IE's lyrics.

I never said that the lyrics were cheesy are terrible. I just meant that they are not that great either. Cheesy and terrible is like Rhapsody or Manowar. To me, Warrel Dan is an example of a great lyricist.

I think Jon is capable of writing some amazing lyrics, but also can come out with a bit of crap as well. Kinda like Steve Harris. Some real classic stuff and some pretty shoddy stuff also.

I will wait until the album is out so I can hear everything in context before I start making real judgements.

Sympozium said:
The vocal melody is much more important than the actual lyrics in my opinion. How it sounds not want it means!!!

That's true in some cases,but for the most part not for me. Porcupine Tree's Shesmovedon is one of those though....I don't really like listening to it cause of the lyrics but man the vocal melodies are amazing. Same with some Pain Of Salvation songs,the lyrics are so depressing that I don't always want to listen to them but the melodies...
What it means is so much more important,as long as it sounds good too. :loco: :D :p