Reel to reel tape discussion

no ones mentioned the hours of lining up, over biasing and cleaning the heads + fed ex shipping costs...
Yep that all sucks too, luckily we use a really tricked-out Studer A820 with auto bias and auto alignment. I think it was the last model they designed before they quit making machines but don't quote me on that. Still... things need to be done on it manually now and then.

I'm going to be tracking on an MCI in a few weeks so I'll be pretty fucked I think :lol:

Tape compression on drum tracks is godly.
Everything kind of gets pre-mixed =)
The dynamics are tamed without the sound of compressors and you really get that warm and round analog sound.
Nothing that can't be done later on if you are recording to hard drive but tape makes things sound a bit closer without too much fiddling. 'Cos in my case I am not the one operating the machine.

I would never buy one of those machines but I will keep going to a certain studio to record drums to tape.

I don't think anyone in their right mind still uses ADAT tape.

I remember someone on Gearslutz commenting that their annual Studer maintenance fees amounted to nearly $4000. Every year, just to keep it running.
Believe it or not, earlier this year I met a grammy-winning classical producer who said he uses ADAT :zombie: And his recordings sound amazing regardless. :err:

Tape compression on drum tracks is godly.
Everything kind of gets pre-mixed =)
The dynamics are tamed without the sound of compressors and you really get that warm and round analog sound.

I never recorded with tape machines, but that's exactly what i was expecting. Tool - 10000 Days have a perfect drum sound, and if i'm not worng it was done through tape machines.... But seems that to rec with tape machines don't worth the cost. We can have a similar warmth with another gear??? Tube preamps maybe?

i remember cutting demos years back onto 1/2" and 2" tape. It was a very different way of working. All tracks would have to be "perfect" because the editing options (&time) just wasn't available. Hasn't digital defined certain sub-genres of metal, ie. that would not exist if we were still on reel tape machines?

The only things really keeping me from tracking to tape and dumping to digital are....

-Cost of tape
-Crappy bands needing a million takes which degrades the sound on tape with every new pass
-Paying for up-keep on the machine

It's hard enough getting bands that want to pay to record let alone telling them they need to set aside a few hundred bucks for tape costs.

If I were recording "organic" rock bands or garage bands that record live with a few overdubs I'd be working on a 2" machine in a heart beat.