REFUGE!!

What's the best of the early albums? I've heard Perfect Man and it didn't really leave an impression.

I am not familiar with Trapped or The Missing Link, but of the other 3 (Perfect Man, Secrets in a Weird World, Reflections of a Shadow), I would recommend Secrets in a Weird World at the top.

EDIT: This set should be right up Firehead's alley. Different name, 5 specific albums in the mix.

What's the best of the early albums? I've heard Perfect Man and it didn't really leave an impression.

'Perfect Man' is actually the one that I think would leave the biggest "impression", as it's almost half-punk (fast, really melodic, 3-minute songs with prominent bass). The other four albums from the Refuge era are more conventionally "metal".

Anyway, Refuge seems to play the most songs from 'Trapped!' and 'The Missing Link', with 'Secrets in a Weird World', 'Perfect Man', and 'Reflections of a Shadow' contributing from 2 to 0 songs per album. So 'Trapped!' and 'The Missing Link' would be the ones to start with; they'll also sound the most conventional to a modern metal audience.

Of the five, 'Trapped!' is my favorite, with 'The Missing Link' and 'Perfect Man' following extremely close behind, and 'Secrets...' and 'Reflections...' only a step behind those.

It's a 5-album period basically equivalent to Iron Maiden's 'Number of the Beast' through 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son'.

Thanks for the recommendations. As long as Rage has been around, I'm really not very familiar with them. It's time to change that.

I love Rage and have taken this opportunity to put together a playlist based on Refuge's recent setlists. Man is it impressive how effortlessly melodic these songs are, and the riffing and guitar work is super without being flashy. (I love Victor, but he's not the most grounded player.) Great stuff.

Anyway, Refuge seems to play the most songs from 'Trapped!' and 'The Missing Link', with 'Secrets in a Weird World', 'Perfect Man', and 'Reflections of a Shadow' contributing from 2 to 0 songs per album. So 'Trapped!' and 'The Missing Link' would be the ones to start with; they'll also sound the most conventional to a modern metal audience.

Of the five, 'Trapped!' is my favorite, with 'The Missing Link' and 'Perfect Man' following extremely close behind, and 'Secrets...' and 'Reflections...' only a step behind those.

It's a 5-album period basically equivalent to Iron Maiden's 'Number of the Beast' through 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son'.
That's a good analogy. It also means that not playing anything from Perfect Man is the equivalent of Maiden not playing anything from NOTB. That would be quite a shame!

After FW, this one is the band I will be looking forward to see att PP next year, one of my al fave bands, my favorite by RAGE is the MISSING LINK, for that era Perect Man and TRapped are next. I will be great to see Manny on guitar back in Rage, he is an ammazing guitar player. Finally (I hope If the VISA dudes don´t mess up the things again :D). I'll have my cds signed.

See ya at PP

That's a good analogy. It also means that not playing anything from Perfect Man is the equivalent of Maiden not playing anything from NOTB. That would be quite a shame!

Oh, yeah, they'll almost certainly play "Don't Fear The Winter", but they've basically been playing that their entire careers, regardless of lineup, so it's not super-special. The cool thing is that in the current form, it sounds more authentic and less chunkily-modern than it did in the Smolski-era, and most importantly, Manni delivers the harmony backing vocals! (something it seems Smolski never did).

They've also played "Death in the Afternoon", which I love, and I'll hope and dream that Peavy cuts his balls off so they can do "A Pilgrim's Path".

Here is Refuge's setlist summary page: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/refuge-6bdf0202.html

For those who apparently had some sort of problem with Native Construct's set having too much piped-in music, I think Refuge is the band for you. Even though they only have 3 musicians, it looks like they play everything completely live and on their own, basically highlighting what complete badasses they are, and how well they constructed their music to sound so full and busy and complete as a mere trio.

I'm a long time fan of Rage and the Refuge lineup is my favourite era of the band. I'll rank the albums if it'll help...

1) Missing Link (in my all time top 10 actually)
2) Trapped
3) Perfect Man
4) Reflections of a Shadow
5) Secrets in a Weird World

Also their dvd The Video Link is a great indication of what they do live. Great stuff.

Just so I have this clear..."Reign of Fear" & "Execution Guaranteed" were the first two albums as "Rage" and they changed the name to "Refuge for the next 5 albums?

No, they were still called Rage. Rage has had many lineup changes since calling themselves that in 1986, and are still active with the following lineup: Peavy Wagner, Vassilios Maniatopoulos, Marcos Rodríguez

However, in 2014 Peavy reunited with the rest of the 1988-1993 lineup (Chris Efthimiadis and Manni Schmidt). Since Rage is still an ongoing concern, the reunited lineup is calling themselves Refuge.

REFUGE (Rage) Sign To Frontiers For Original Material Album

"...The German power metal band REFUGE built around heavy metal icon Peter 'Peavy' Wagner has recently signed a record deal with Frontiers Music Srl.

The Herne, Germany based Refuge, which consists of Manni Schmidt (guitars), Christos Efthimiadis(drums) and frontman/bassplayer Peavy Wagner, is the 1987 ' 1994 line up of the German Metal institutionRage. The former Rage members got back together at the end of 2014 under the name Refuge to play the old Rage songs from their time in the band. What started out as a fun project with friends, has since evolved into a very special band.

Refuge guitarist Manni Schmidt says: 'When we played at a number of festivals last summer, we instantly realized that the chemistry was back. The shows worked out great and very naturally, there were ideas for new songs that we wanted to hold, because we liked them so much. Somehow the guys from Frontiers have heard about this and they offered us a deal. Peavy, Efthi and I are very thrilled to say that there will be a record released full of brand new songs by our band REFUGE!'

Frontman Peavy Wagner also points out that releasing a new album with REFUGE won't clash with his other band RAGE: 'REFUGE and RAGE are two different bands now. With REFUGE, we are able to play songs of the old era that have never found their way to a setlist of a RAGE show. REFUGE also consists of different musicians ' except me ' who have different ideas and a different vibe. REFUGE is more like old school. The fans will find out latest when they will hold the new REFUGE album in their hands.' About the signing with Frontiers Music Srl, Peavy says: 'The members of REFUGE are looking very much forward to working with such a renowned label as Frontiers Music Srl. The company's roster is impressive and for all I know, Mario, Serafino and their crew are behind the band to a 100%. I can't wait to start working with them.'

Mario de Riso, Label Manager of Frontiers Music Srl adds: 'We are very happy to welcome REFUGE to our label. Since we are all fans of the 'old' RAGE, we are particularly glad about the fact, that the band with the lineup from back then is a part of the Frontiers family now and we look forward to our future cooperation.'

Follow Refuge:
http://www.refuge-band.de
https://www.facebook.com/refugegermany ... "