Remembering Dime Bag Darrel 1966-2004

3 years ago today.WOW! R.I.P.

A day I will never forget. I remember like it was yesterday getting a call from a friend who was part of the pantera crew back in the day, he knew I was a huge Pantera fan. I didnt' believe him, it had literally just happened he had gotten a call from somebody in the damageplan camp that was at the show. Then about 30 minutes later things started posted online and it was official. One of the greatest metal guitar players in history was shot on stage. Just a total nightmare

You have a new life now in a better place. The start of a new life was 3 years ago today, so happy re-Birthday Dime. Nobody will ever be able sound like you!

dimetrib.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to see him play in Madison some time back. Glad I had a chance to see him. I also got to see a great custom bike decicated to Dimeback at bike night in Madison this past summer.

It is sad when the metal community loses someone as popular as Darrell. It's even sadder (sarcastically speaking) when a radio station, namely, Sirius' Hard Attack 27, exploits his death at any chance they can. They officially commemorate him twice a year for his DOB and death anniversary with "March of Dime" and "Dime Day" and other promotions. I suppose this is fine, but using the entire month of August to "commemorate" him in additional to his DOD and DOB, plus any other moment of interest in his life (the day Pantera broke up, for example) is just overkill. It's as if Hard Attack uses any excuse to turn their channel into the "All Pantera and Damageplan, All the Time Channel," and doesn't even give a yearly nod to Chuck Schuldiner or Paul Baloff.

That's all. That was my rant. I'm off to play my Pantera Metal Magic cd and marvel at Darrel's talent before he traded his "Diamond" for "Dimebag." :p

It is sad when the metal community loses someone as popular as Darrel. It's even sadder (sarcistally speaking) when a radio station, namely, Sirius' Hard Attack 27, exploits his death at any chance they can. They officially commemorate him twice a year for his DOB and death anniversary with "March of Dime" and "Dime Day" and other promotions. I suppose this is fine, but using the entire month of August to "commemorate" him in additional to his DOD and DOB, plus any other moment of interest in his life (the day Pantera broke up, for example) is just overkill. It's as if Hard Attack uses any excuse to turn their channel into the "All Pantera and Damageplan, All the Time Channel," and doesn't even give a yearly nod to Chuck Schuldiner or Paul Baloff.

That's all. That was my rant. I'm off to play my Pantera Metal Magic cd and marvel at Darrel's talent before he traded his "Diamond" for "Dimebag." :p

I think the yearly nod to Chuck and Paul would be nice, but Dime got shot and killed on stage and was in the most influential mainstream metal band of the 90's that changed metal and kept metal alive. Im not saying one persons death is any different than the next but Dimebag was one of the best guitar players of all time shot on stage which makes it more of a 'shock' and what not.

As for the "Diamond Darrell" thing he was called "Diamond Darrell" up until after the Vulgar Display of Power CD. So if you want to listen to Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power you can also enjoy "Diamond Darrell" and anjoy his talents on those records as well

The only time I saw Pantera was on the Cowboys From Hell tour, when they were playing 3rd on the bill at the Bren Event Center. In 6 days, The MaidenS will be playing 3rd on the bill at the Bren Event Center.

As for the "Diamond Darrell" thing he was called "Diamond Darrell" up until after the Vulgar Display of Power CD. So if you want to listen to Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power you can also enjoy "Diamond Darrell" and anjoy his talents on those records as well
I have nothing against those albums. I think Cowboys is a classic. It's just sad that Metal Magic is overlooked because it's quite a good album. The same goes with his solo stuff before Pantera. While it's not exactly original, it's still very enjoyable, too. Of course, few fans know about or appreciate the pre-Cowboys material because the band tried to suppress it when they moved away from their glam roots.

I think you make an astute point about Darrell being shot make a difference. I suppose it was more of a shock to everyone because no one saw it coming and because he was one of the most popular metal icons of the '90s. He definitely deserves to be recognized. I just suppose I feel oversaturated with all the "remembrances" on Hard Attack.

I have nothing against those albums. I think Cowboys is a classic. It's just sad that Metal Magic is overlooked because it's quite a good album. The same goes with his solo stuff before Pantera. While it's not exactly original, it's still very enjoyable, too. Of course, few fans know about or appreciate the pre-Cowboys material because the band tried to suppress it when they moved away from their glam roots.

I think you make an astute point about Darrell being shot make a difference. I suppose it was more of a shock to everyone because no one saw it coming and because he was one of the most popular metal icons of the '90s. He definitely deserves to be recognized. I just suppose I feel oversaturated with all the "remembrances" on Hard Attack.

I gotcha man. I have all of the Pantera stuff prior to Cowboys From Hell. I find most of it laughable to be honest, though Dime shreds on the solos. I actually like the album "Power Metal" which was the first album that Phil Anselmo sang on. There is some quality metal on that record minus a lot of the cheesy glam stuff they were doing prior to it. But from a purely musical stand point everything Dime has done has been quality, he is just one of those natural rippers that come along once in a lifetime.

Dime was a ripper but I really believe if Phil Anselmo never came to the band Dime would have never really been discovered in the way he should have been and was. The 80's glam rock style was dying fast. Phil came in and gave them the solid kick in the ass that they needed. From there is history! The guitar tones alone on the post glam era Pantera records is just unbelievable. I have never heard anything like it and will most likely never hear it again. So heavy and clean yet cruchy.... its just unreal how amazing the guitar was in pantera

I gotcha man. I have all of the Pantera stuff prior to Cowboys From Hell. I find most of it laughable to be honest, though Dime shreds on the solos. I actually like the album "Power Metal" which was the first album that Phil Anselmo sang on. There is some quality metal on that record minus a lot of the cheesy glam stuff they were doing prior to it. But from a purely musical stand point everything Dime has done has been quality, he is just one of those natural rippers that come along once in a lifetime.

Dime was a ripper but I really believe if Phil Anselmo never came to the band Dime would have never really been discovered in the way he should have been and was. The 80's glam rock style was dying fast. Phil came in and gave them the solid kick in the ass that they needed. From there is history! The guitar tones alone on the post glam era Pantera records is just unbelievable. I have never heard anything like it and will most likely never hear it again. So heavy and clean yet cruchy.... its just unreal how amazing the guitar was in pantera

I've only heard one pre-Cowboys song and it was called Killers. I thought it was brilliant, very Priest influenced and great riffage at the start.

I've only heard one pre-Cowboys song and it was called Killers. I thought it was brilliant, very Priest influenced and great riffage at the start.

If you like that Priest influenced sound you will really like the Pantera "Power Metal" album. It is like a mix of Priest, Queensryche, Maiden, and a twist of skid row and def leppard

The lyrics are pretty cheesy but there are some quality songs

If you like that Priest influenced sound you will really like the Pantera "Power Metal" album. It is like a mix of Priest, Queensryche, Maiden, and a twist of skid row and def leppard

The lyrics are pretty cheesy but there are some quality songs

I would love to find all the older Pantera albums someday. Sounds like I would really like them.

I would love to find all the older Pantera albums someday. Sounds like I would really like them.

Here is a video of Pantera in 1998 doing a song called "Rock the World" which is on the record POWER METAL

Its crazy how high Phil Anselmo used to get, Queensryche style

Here is a song called "Proud to be Loud" it is NOT live, its from the record "Power Metal"

Here is Dimebag in 1986 eddie van halen style, he is so young in this clip

And here is "Metal Magic" long before Phil Anselmo was in the band

Last edited by a moderator:
Power Metal is a great album, but it will never see a proper release because the band is embarrassed about their glam roots. This is too bad because Power Metal really isn't glam, but a nice classic '80s metal album just as IMF09 described it. The previous glam stuff is pretty laughable, despite Darrell's talent.

Here is a video of Pantera in 1998 doing a song called "Rock the World" which is on the record POWER METAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr3nACVOH1E

Its crazy how high Phil Anselmo used to get, Queensryche style

Here is a song called "Proud to be Loud" it is NOT live, its from the record "Power Metal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e25c4ULCKY

Here is Dimebag in 1986 eddie van halen style, he is so young in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEZAhTx9gLs

And here is "Metal Magic" long before Phil Anselmo was in the band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOsmnFOhGRo

Cool! I shall check them out, thanks! :D

I was able to meet Dimebag during the Ozzfest when Cradle of Filth was on the bill. One of the nicest down-to-earth and drunken guys I have ever met. He had a bottle of Jack when I met him. When I met him I had an Iron Maiden shirt of Tailgunner.....

Even during times like this there's a quote I always have remembered......

"It's not how many people you know in life that counts, it's how many you have touched."

RIP Dimebag

Jaysun (Chicago Jay)