Research about music. need subjects asap.

totaltrash

New Metal Member
Feb 10, 2003
-
Visit site
hi all,
i need your help.
ASAP

i am doing a research about the connection between music and social behavior - and i need as many subjects as i can get. as soon as i can get them.

it will be a huge help if you could spear a minute and go to this link:

http://questionnaire.dk3.com/

and answear the questions.

thanks in advance.
A.Z.

Just curious... but what connection can you possibly find between music and violent behavior from those questions?

Also, I filled it out. When can I expect my dollar? :D

In genreal i think people in heavy metal are of a less violent nature, This dosent mean they dont act in violent ways. But in genreal a metal head isnt the type of person who would rob your car and steal your wallet.

Nergal, I think you said something I can agree with!

I've never been more at home than when I was at ProgPower USA last year - 800+ metalheads, 1,000's of CDs on display at the merchandise tables and no one thought twice about the issue of theft, everyone was nice and sociable, and there wasn't even an annoying moshpit! Now, a Kid Rock concert on the other hand, was just a terrible experience! Big drunk horny guys + little girls in tube tops + angry white-trash redneck with a repetitive beats on stage = the formula for disater! Some of the guys took advantage of the girls and actually took off the girls' tops and were fondling them (another example of this would be the last woodstock), the moshpit was out of control and there wasn't a safe spot in the venue (again, Woodstock) none of this had to do metal. Kid Rock is not metal. None of the bands at the last Woodstock were really of the ilk that most of us would typify as metal. So I wonder where everyone is getting bogus idea that metalheads are the violent ones? Or maybe it's a skewed definition of "metal"? Well, anyways, I know the survey wasn't JUST for metalheads, but none of us arehere for teen-pop! :lol:

~Sh0k~

shokrok.. good point about the kid rock v.s. progpower shows. This is what i mean, i was working at a both selling cds for some local black metal bands, and there were over 300 people at the small show, and i left the both a few times and no one ever stole any thing. In a way this is the same as respecting a metal band and not ripping of there music, i think the heavy metal scene, weather its death metal, or power metal there is a high level of respect shown for each other. And this is what makes it so strong and last for so many years.

Filled it out, but I agree with the others... I really think you'll find it hard to draw any definite conclusions from such a vague questionnaire. It seems more likely that those questions will give statistics that point more towards peer pressure/family influence issues than music. Perhaps some questions along the lines of 'Situation : You've turned up late for work after being held up in traffic and been sacked. Your family are angry and unsupportive. You decide to listen to music in your room. Does this make you: 1) Calm down? 2) Depressed? 3) Angrier? 4) Detached?" would have worked a little better...

Filled it out.

And I completely agree with everyone who said that metalheads are one of the more peaceful "sub-cultures." I was at the Art of Noise Tour on Sunday night in Philly, and Nile's set got cut short by about 4 or 5 songs with no warning, due to the curfew. Sure people were pissed(I was, myself), there were a lot of people screaming "BULLSHIT!"(myself included), but other than that, nothing happened. no riot, no violence of any kind. Oh sure, I was about to break something when Dallas Toler-Wade told me what songs they were going to play (Black Seeds of Vengence, Masturbating the War God, Smashing the Antiu, and one other I can't remember), but all in all, everyone was very civilized about it. Now if, say, a Limp Bizkit or a Linkin Park show got shut down like that, that stadium or whatever would be in ruins by morning.

well, btw agree too, some shaky questions in this doc. sometimes,
the 'social behavior' can be also correctly mesured in other situations than confrontations I think, but but ...

Originally posted by nergal_S
In genreal i think people in heavy metal are of a less violent nature, This dosent mean they dont act in violent ways. But in general a metal head isnt the type of person you...

... mess too much for bullshit.

I will post what I posted at the SX forum:

I went through your questions, and I must say I was not impressed by the quality of them. You assume that the person answering them will be honest and truthful, and most will in fact think they are, but they are in reality answering from the standpoint they WANT to have. Seriously, who is going to answer "I love to beat my wife" or "watching quadruple anal fisting turns me on"(you have not asked those questions, just giving examples here)? No, they will most likely deny their own nature, answering with what they want to believe is the truth instead. That is why most questionnaires by professionals(psychologists), almost never ask direct questions like in yours. They instead play on the patterns of the mind, researched for years upon years by other psychologists. You are simply not qualified to make such a research. Go take a read in some psychology books.

I have to agree with those of you who have stated that the metal 'culture' is usually one of peace. I went to see Deicide and Marduk in Detroit and one of the security guys was saying how he loved it when shows like this came to town because there were no fights. He said that when the rap shows came, they had three times as much security and there were nothing but fights all night long. Of course, there are some fights at metal shows but nothing compared to others. Usually the people who deserve it get smacked down, like the guy at the Cradle of Filth show in Detroit who was jumping on peoples necks from behind. He hurt a lot of people and deserved to leave his teeth at the venue. Fuckhead!

There will always be nutcases in every culture. For instance there was a Danish program about a black metal dude called Had (Hate) and he said that he thought it would be great just to kill someone, especially if it was someone he had never met before. Just to see him lying on the floor in a pool of blood suffering.
Also, I have never heard of a culture before that worships Satan as much as the metal culture - burning churches, desecrating graves, being into extreme nazi-shit and killing homosexuals and stuff like that. The black metal scene has kind of got more modern, so I think all that stuff is slowly dying, but in the early/mid 90's there was more of it and black metal fans just gives applause to it! I myself being a major black metal head around 5 years ago thought it was cool to burn churces and kill the christianity and all that type of stupid crap!!
When I was a hiphopper I didn't really see that many fights at shows, but I could imagine there would be more as that culture is very much about being tough and cool and shit like that, so everybody looks at one another "What kind of fool are you?!" when you come in the door.