Respect For Early Anathema......

Lord S

Jul 25, 2001
UK
Visit site
I LOVE Anathema-i've seen them live nearly 30 times now but some people seem to dismiss pre Silent Enigma Anathema-Please listen to Crestfallen and Serenades-some amazing music there you know!

Some of those early gigs will never be bettered emotion wise IMO-listening to Sleep In sanity and Under A Veil Of Black Lace.........Darren had a MAJOR part in that Anathema sound-respect is due i think:)

Hell yeah, those are some of the best.

Crestfallen, Sleepless, and They Die are some of my favorite Anathema songs. I love doom death. Early My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, November's Doom, Winter, etc... it's all good.

I know Anathema since their very beginning...They were one of my favorit bands (together with My Dying Bride) But something was wrong...And it was the voice of Darren White. Of course the music was brilliant. And when he left the band everything was perfect!!!!

Darren voice worked well in at least Crestfallen (on Pentecoust its a bit of key) and with the moanings backing it up its awesome.

i have got Serenades not much time ago, im still enjoying Crestfallen, and thats a doom masterpiece.

Winter :)... good band, good ideas but bad bad sound, the studio could have pushed them a little further

Originally posted by Lord S
I LOVE Anathema-i've seen them live nearly 30 times now but some people seem to dismiss pre Silent Enigma Anathema-Please listen to Crestfallen and Serenades-some amazing music there you know!

Some of those early gigs will never be bettered emotion wise IMO-listening to Sleep In sanity and Under A Veil Of Black Lace.........Darren had a MAJOR part in that Anathema sound-respect is due i think:)

I so very agree! I was listening to Serenades only yesterday and "Sleep In Sanity" is definitely one of the most intense songs ever written. The vocals are incredibly amazing. I much prefer old Anathema (Serenades, TSE, Eternity) to the last 2 albums of them. Well Judgement has its moments. But Fine Day just didn't hit me and is the only Anathema album I don't like.

NP: Dio - Holy Diver

~Mezarkabul

Thank G-d there is some sense in here.

Serenades kicks ass for passion and intensity.

And Darren doesn't moan. He can sing, he can hum, he can growl, but he doesn't moan. than honor belong to vinnie.

Originally posted by Wolff
Thank G-d there is some sense in here.

Serenades kicks ass for passion and intensity.

And Darren doesn't moan. He can sing, he can hum, he can growl, but he doesn't moan. than honor belong to vinnie.

Excuse me wolff,
did you said that Darren actually sings somewhere?! I'm just curious in which song(s). Yeah he tries in a songs like "Sleepless" & "We The Gods", but I can't call that singing, althought that I love this songs. Do you know the band Lacrimas Profundere? They are just like the old Anathema!!! If you feel nostalgy about them check this band out!!!!!:cool:

Here's my Objective :D version :

"And darren doesn't sing. He can moan, he can hum, he can growl, but he doesn't sing. than honor belong to Vinnie."

Let's get it on ! :loco: What can you put forth against an Objective statement ?

God

Originally posted by D Mullholand

Here's my Objective :D version :

"And darren doesn't sing. He can moan, he can hum, he can growl, but he doesn't sing. than honor belong to Vinnie."

Let's get it on ! :loco: What can you put forth against an Objective statement ?

God

Are you saying Darren can not sing? Just clarify that, and I'll answer your question.

As a sidenote, stop this moaning ("God" et. al). It doesn't really fit the doom death feel that you clearly don't have:D. It actually makes you look very infantile.

Carry on.

Are you saying Darren can not sing? Just clarify that, and I'll answer your question.

As a sidenote, stop this moaning ("God" et. al). It doesn't really fit the doom death feel that you clearly don't have:D. It actually makes you look very infantile.

Yes, Darren cannot sing in a clear voice; his moanings I find to be distracting, his growls are OTOH pretty decent. Glass ?

Don't have a doom death feel ? Is this a hair-dye contest ? May I also use the word "fuck" in the same sentence as "weeping willow" ? This will be a-dult, no ?

Yes, Darren cannot sing in a clear voice; his moanings I find to be distracting, his growls are OTOH pretty decent. Glass ?

Don't have a doom death feel ? Is this a hair-dye contest ? May I also use the word "fuck" in the same sentence as "weeping willow" ? This will be a-dult, no ?

Darren White can sing. Case in point The Blood Divine, his post-Anathema band. He can sing pretty well.

You'll be an a-dult once you start writing somewhat more coherently.

Darren White can sing. Case in point The Blood Divine, his post-Anathema band. He can sing pretty well.

You'll be an a-dult once you start writing somewhat more coherently.

I have listened to both albums of The Blood Divine. Yes, he was trying to sing. In my opinion, he failed. But I haven't heard his new band - maybe he'd improved by now ?

I understand your view on early Anathema as "intense, surreal suffering" - there are certainly moments that bring a mood like this, but in my opinion, these albums are disjointed and directionless, and the disjointedness is even stronger on The Blood Divine, especially the first album. Do we need to argue further ?

Now let's bomb Germany.

I have listened to both albums of The Blood Divine. Yes, he was trying to sing. In my opinion, he failed. But I haven't heard his new band - maybe he'd improved by now ?

I understand your view on early Anathema as "intense, surreal suffering" - there are certainly moments that bring a mood like this, but in my opinion, these albums are disjointed and directionless, and the disjointedness is even stronger on The Blood Divine, especially the first album. Do we need to argue further ?

Now let's bomb Germany.

I agree!!!:)

Now let's bomb Germany.

I don't know what your definition of sing is, but if it is somehow related to producing musical tones by voice, or perhaps to the uttering of words in musical tones inflections and modulations... then Darren does sing. Feel free to diagree, but to me Darren's vocals convey far more emotion than the commercially viable Vinnie stuff. Also, Anathema's post-Darren lyrics are nothing special (bar a couple of songs maybe). Darren wrote incredible lyrics, both at Serenades and TBD, and is my favourite poet (allright Aaron Stainthrpe is there too).

As far as dijointedness/directionlessness you're kidding right? Stuff like "Serenades" is extremly coherent and DEEP. Sure it requires a few listens, but most good music almost always does. I do miss the epic approach they had in PIII such as carefully and slowly building up. I love that sort of thing.

And I have no problem with bombing the Krauts whatsoever

Hey, did you ever heard "Artemis" or "So Serene" ? They are great! Darren screams these texts like he could scream "Fuck all false doomsters, weeping like deflorated schoolgirls, hah!!!" I think the Blood Divine is a new step in doom progress mainly cause of Darren's vox there, and the music greatly fits his singing.